finally fired the 331 up

you built a 331 with a speed density car? I am doing the same thing on my 86. I was told i would have to convert to mass air and that there was no way around it. is there anything special you have to do?
 
331:drool:

Nice job on the start-up. You could either have a headgasket leak (torn or improper torque?)...or maybe just a lower bolt is leaking that goes thru the coolant passages. That would be much nicer...:)
 
egan_gt said:
you built a 331 with a speed density car? I am doing the same thing on my 86. I was told i would have to convert to mass air and that there was no way around it. is there anything special you have to do?
Yeah you would have to re-burn the computer.
 
egan_gt said:
you built a 331 with a speed density car? I am doing the same thing on my 86. I was told i would have to convert to mass air and that there was no way around it. is there anything special you have to do?
thats right i did! and it actually ran!!! i also have a 498lift cam in it! the car sounds great! it is actually running a little to rich right now. You dont have to go to maf...but it would be better if you did. i plan on throwing a carb on soon anyway
 
5spd GT said:
331:drool:

Nice job on the start-up. You could either have a headgasket leak (torn or improper torque?)...or maybe just a lower bolt is leaking that goes thru the coolant passages. That would be much nicer...:)
i think it is a lower bolt because it is only leaking from a corner and there is NO coolant in the oil at all
 
Modular2v said:
i think it is a lower bolt because it is only leaking from a corner and there is NO coolant in the oil at all

Yeah check around the bolt to see if you have any leaking coolant around it. The headgasket is below the headbolt so hopefully you can pinpoint where it is originating from...good luck with that. If it is the lower bolt just back it out slowly and reapply some thread sealer on it (more this time) and put it back in and see if it fixes the problem.
 
5spd GT said:
Yeah check around the bolt to see if you have any leaking coolant around it. The headgasket is below the headbolt so hopefully you can pinpoint where it is originating from...good luck with that. If it is the lower bolt just back it out slowly and reapply some thread sealer on it (more this time) and put it back in and see if it fixes the problem.
i think im just going to pull the heads off......and order som afr 185s, intake and carb.. and the fix the tv cable problem on my aod.....im either ordering a full manual valve body, kevlar banded aod or go with a tremec 600
 
egan_gt said:
you built a 331 with a speed density car? I am doing the same thing on my 86. I was told i would have to convert to mass air and that there was no way around it. is there anything special you have to do?

i have a 331 in my 86... you will really, really like it.
whats your set up going to be?
 
Modular2v said:
n8 any regrets going with efi?

NONE!

after doing it, i wouldnt have it any other way. the throttle response is so amazing. yes, EFI is more expensive to do, but its all about personal preference, and since i dont like carbs, EFI is my choice.
my philosophy is is that EFI is more street mannered, but carb would be better for a pure track car... but thats just me.
 
Awesome man!! Its nice seeing it actually start after all that work and money huh :D

Did you use a generous amount of thread sealent on the lower bolts?

I haven't taken mine much past 5000rpm yet (cam will pull to around 6600) but it rev's up fast. I did a quick 2nd gear pull and looked @ my wideband and im running way too rich up top. The a/f went from mid 12's to into the 11's. I gotta tune that.

I had a few vacuum leaks I fixed. It drives much better now. The vacuum leaks caused me to have to ad a ton of fuel at idle. Now I don't need anywhere near as much. Keep us posted!!

Mike
 
Modular2v said:
thats right i did! and it actually ran!!! i also have a 498lift cam in it! the car sounds great! it is actually running a little to rich right now. You dont have to go to maf...but it would be better if you did. i plan on throwing a carb on soon anyway
you did a 331 and cam with no chip burt? If not you could gain a lot of power and it should run even smoother if you did.
 
z9_87 said:
electronic fuel injected, well you have efi. Just not mass air. You should get a chip burnt though.
i know i have efi and i know what it stands for LOL.....but if i wanted to go with a good efi setup hmmmm lets see..... MAF conversion= 250$, 24# injectors= 240, a good efi intake= 400$ grand total= 890$........now a carb= 350$ intake 180$ grand total= 530