Finally got car started...

A67StangMaster

May 4, 2005
San Jose CA
I got it running but i turned it off quickley beacuse alot of smoke started comming out of it.. but the smoke didnt smell like it was oil burning??
I think it might just be the extra oil i driped everywhere whlie the install...

Is this normal?

• Sponsors (?)

Smoke is pretty normal. Check to make sure it has oil pressure and isn't overheating. Otherwise, might as well let it run.... if the engine dies, it was time for a rebuld anyway.

Certainly if you got oil on the exhaust, it will smoke a lot. If you have just painted the exh. it will also smoke. As BottleFed said, check you oil pressure if that is good, then the engine should be OK. On other note, be sure and check all fittings and lines to be sure they are tight. I happened to be at a shop today as they fired up a new engine on a test stand, fuel started spraying out of the carb inlet and at the fuel pressure gauge. A seal had failed (over tightned) and loose at the loose fittings at the gauge. Could have been serious if not caught quickly

lol Its smoking from the headers.. Its starting to go away.. but I am noticing that the engine is getting hot really fast.. how would i check my oil pressure?
Is there a tool i would need to buy? I dont have my gauges in yet..

Well a good mechanical gauge would be the way to go.

Do you have an electical hookup for a gauge which is attched to the oil senser on the side of the block?

The smoking will take a full heat cycle to disperse..

Its allright if the engine gets up to operating temps fast, if its just sitting there idling, with some revving and no driving im pretty sure it would warm up pretty quick...

Is it overheating?