Finding a Good Body Shop is Impossible!

Les Paul

Founding Member
Mar 21, 2002
Revere, MA
www.reprovideo.com
So I get the call to pick up my car. Great! The paint job is done and now it's time to enjoy. I go to the shop and see the body guy washing it for the presentation. Everything looks great. The hood looks nice and I think, OK, job well done. Hand over the rest of the cash and drive off. I get a cup of coffee and I figure I'll enjoy the sun and appreciate the new hood. Well I look at the front bumper that was part of the deal and I notice a scratch that I filled awhile ago still there. I see a blob of touch-up paint that I put on a nick last summer. I notice that the edge of the bumper there are hacks that were there when I bought the car.

So I call him and I tell him that I'm coming down because there is a problem. I get there and I show him the evidence and he has the nerve to say that he sanded the bumper. Tell me how the **** you can sand a bumper and not sand down touch-up paint? Tell me! I told him this is no good and I had the bumper done because I wanted to have it look good. It so obvious that this bumper was just buffed out. :mad:

So I have to call them Monday and set a day or two to have it fixed.

new_hood_1.jpg

new_hood_2.jpg

new_hood_3.jpg

This is probably the wrong forum for this post.

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks!

I would have to do some close-up shots to see the work that was not done. I think the hood looks good but the deal was to pull off the bumper and get it back to new. I know the bumper was off because I saw the car during the job. I guess they just gave it a quick coat of paint and buffed it out. I did not go into this shop looking for a deal. I told them what I wanted and they did not do it and they still charged me.

JonJon said:
:nonono:
stupid people ripping people off
:mad:

The thing that gets me is all the people out there who have their cars fixed who are not like us who know there cars very well. I mean I know every single nick and scratch and how I got them. I can guarantee that people are going in for big ins. jobs in these places and the work is not being done right.

I guess they thought I was a fish. If I didn't pay cash for this job I would be putting a stop payment on the check right now.

I am going to demand that the bumper comes off again, that it's sanded, primed, painted and has a clear-coat put on and if I don't like the work I want my damn money back!

Les Paul said:
The thing that gets me is all the people out there who have their cars fixed who are not like us who know there cars very well. I mean I know every single nick and scratch and how I got them. I can guarantee that people are going in for big ins. jobs in these places and the work is not being done right.

I guess they thought I was a fish. If I didn't pay cash for this job I would be putting a stop payment on the check right now.

I am going to demand that the bumper comes off again, that it's sanded, primed, painted and has a clear-coat put on and if I don't like the work I want my damn money back!

If it were my car I would of turned right around... :shrug:

This paint job keeps getting better by the day!

Today is a good day for detailing and when I looked at the fenders where they blended in the color there is a ton of debris under the clear-coat. What a joke. Tomorrow is going to be a banner day for me because I am going to let of so much steam in the direction of this bozo that calls himself a professional that it will alleviate a lot of tension. I just hope that I can control myself.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

CottonBurnerz said:
Wow, what makes you chose this shop?

A valid question. Well, this is the fourth shop I have used to do different things on my car. The first in the four was the best. They come highly recommended but I still have had problems with them, mostly pricing. The first shop wanted $1,500.00 for the hood and bumper. Kid of crazy, eh?

The others were pretty good but the service sucked so I decided to look for a new place that would get all my business if they did good work. The place that I had the hood done at have been around for a long time and they're in my neighborhood. I talked them first before I ever brought the car down so I gave them a shot.

Finding a good body shop is impossible. As far as I'm concerned they're all skunks and rank somewhere between car salesmen and Insurance companies.

Les Paul said:
This paint job keeps getting better by the day!

Today is a good day for detailing and when I looked at the fenders where they blended in the color there is a ton of debris under the clear-coat. What a joke. Tomorrow is going to be a banner day for me because I am going to let of so much steam in the direction of this bozo that calls himself a professional that it will alleviate a lot of tension. I just hope that I can control myself.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

fyi, you are not supposed to wax a new paint job (even blended areas) for like a month.

LouisianaZJ said:
fyi, you are not supposed to wax a new paint job (even blended areas) for like a month.

Thanks but I wasn't waxing the car. I should have said washed the car and was detailing the interior.

To be honest, I am so disgusted with the car right now that I don't want to even look at it.

By the way, do you think this bozo will be able to buff out the crap in the clear-coat? Should I even bother having them do anything and should I just fight to get my money back? I know that will be a miracle but I need some advice.

Thanks!

if it is like dust UNDERNEATH the clear, he should wetsand it down to the color layer, then re spray it with a couple coats of clear.
if it is ONTOP of the clear or overspray form the hood, he should be using some bodyshop clay, then buff it out after claying.

edit: btw, where did you buy your hood?

Yes, finding a good body shop does seem impossible. My car got screwed up around the right rear wheel molding a couple years ago, and it needed to be reshaped/repainted. Well, my mom had this friend who owns a body shop, and she of course said he's one of the best around. After it was done, at first glance it looked great, especially considering how I had remembered it. But after I got it home, I noticed the lines around the wheel lip were not distinct like the factory job. You could actually see some brush marks around the crease. I was so pissed and wanted to take it back, especially for the $1500 or so they charged. My mom got all bitchy, said nothing is ever going to be perfect, and to get over it.

This has bothered me ever since. A couple of questions: Is it unrealistic to expect a body shop to be able to paint a part back to original factory specs, meaning perfect edges, lines, curves, etc.? Secondly, do you think $1500 was a rip-off? Like I said, the wheel lip was damaged and needed to be reshaped/repainted.

Regardless, next time I get damage, I'm going to either:
1. Locate a factory take-off on Ebay.
2. Order a new OEM part and have it painted.
3. Locate the part I need through a junkyard.

That should solve some of the crappy body shop stress.

I just called the moron and told him that I have some major problems with his work. I told him that the bumper was not touched except for maybe being buffed. He said he personally shot the paint. I said don't insult my intelligence and tell me that the bumper was worked on when touch-up paint, that I put on, is still noticeable. He couldn't answer the question. I said OK, let's say you shot the bumper, did you sand it or did somebody else? He said he wasn't the guy who sanded it. I gave him an out. He said if you want me to take the bumper off and personally sand I will. I said yeah, I paid to have the bumper painted and painted right. So tomorrow morning I drop off the car at 6:30am. Here we go again and now I have an angry painter working on my car.

Who wants to take bets this will be a total **** job and I will getting my car painted somewhere else in the coming weeks?

Stangston,

The best shop that I have come across and used in the past wanted $1500 for the hood and bumper. I could not bring myself to spend that kind of cash for just a hood and bumper. And even though this place is good they have done some crappy work on my car and even scratched my front bumper when I had them fix my rear bumper. So finding a shop that will do up your car like you would do it is next to impossible. As far as I am concerned a good body shop should be able to do better work than the factory. I know if I brought it to the expensive shop I was just talking about they would have done a better jog but it would not be perfect.

I guess my question is when you guys have parts painted for your car are you looking for perfection? Are my standards to high? I mean I look at my hood and I see a little divot on the corner and it pisses me off. It's small and no one will notice it so am I being a pain when I say this should be perfect?

This car is going to kill me . . .

I just had my side skirts painted and
1) no itemized bill (quoted me 200-250, bill was 250)
2)said i needed a pint of paint (seemed like a lot, so after i asked if there was any left for touch up use, reply was no) :bs: it shouldn't take a pint just for 2 stock side skirts right?
3)Gave him the paint code but it didn't match, although i have heard white is hardest to color match
I suspect he had some white left over from another job and used that, it would explain why theres no leftover paint and why it didn't match.

Maybe i'm off-base and the eight year old paint wouldn't match in color a fresh paint job? :shrug:

Update

Well I picked up the car today after having them fix the bumper and the paint job sucks and I don't think I'm being too picky. There is a good size drip on the fender near the fog-light and lots of crap and imperfections in the clear coat. After washing the grime off today I even noticed little spots on the hood where he must of ran into some problems so he touched it up and then clear coated over. I think it looks rotten. I can understand that it will not be perfect but there is just too many problems for me to forget about it.

I know I can't live with the car like this so I am going to end up having it done right somewhere. I really want my money back but I guess I would have a better chance at getting hit by lightning tonight.