Electrical finding a stand alone harness vs making one

josh597

Jan 23, 2023
so i have a sn95. got hit hard in the rear side. has a cherry 5.0 5 speed. problem. the only harness i can find goes with a 93 ECM. anyone ever repin there own ECM and harness? im looking to use my sn95 5.0/t5 in an 84 ranger. am i looking in the wrong place?? really want to use my ECM because its already tuned for my engine and cam plus really want to retain fuel injection.

• Sponsors (?)

i have the complete harness for the car. but to swap it with a painless harness from my understanding requires using a 93 ECM. my 95 ECM has already been chipped and tuned for my cam. i would like to avoid requiring a completely new tune. if i can find a stand alone harness that works with the 95 ECM and equipment i would. but i havent found one.

what i'm asking is
1): what all needs eliminated to use the factory harness? does anyone have that information. i have a basic understanding but i'm fairly ignorant
2): if no one has the info is there anywhere i can find a stand alone harness that works with the 95 ECM
sorry if it seems a bit confusing currently at work. maybe that format helps i apologize for any misunderstanding

I would think the only thing that needs to be clipped would be the air bag stuff, did the sn95 have the anti theft option?
You should talk to the Painless tech to see if the harness works with your computer or what needs to be modified to work with your computer.

Possibly
A better question than #1 above Josh, is
What all needs to be included?
The 84 Ranger has basically nothing on it and you will need some inputs for the 95 that the Ranger does not have
Like a yes from the PATS or GEM
Damn straight, use the factory harness from the 95 and do not mess with any aftermarket harness
The computer you are trying to use is a 95 right?
60 pin vs 105 for the processor means a repin is out, means no go, different size pins et al. problems

Possibly
A better question than #1 above Josh, is
What all needs to be included?
The 84 Ranger has basically nothing on it and you will need some inputs for the 95 that the Ranger does not have
Like a yes from the PATS or GEM
Damn straight, use the factory harness from the 95 and do not mess with any aftermarket harness
The computer you are trying to use is a 95 right?
60 pin vs 105 for the processor means a repin is out, means no go, different size pins et al. problems
Yea. That probably is a better question. The 84 Ranger is essentially an empty cab. It's a base. No bells or whistles and a rats nest for a harness. So im very aware ill need to do some work here. I planned to use just the engine management from the mustang and as little as possible on the inside. Just don't know the information on how to make it work. I dont believe 95 had PATS. Yea the computer I want to use is a 95. It's already had tuning and things done to it I'd rather not have to completely redo. So what all inputs does the ecm need to run the engine? Hope that all makes sense here lol

Not much, just powers and grounds into the processor
You'll need 4) O2 sensors and a check engine light (use for an astray light) because it'll be on a lot if not forever
Run a 2 cat 49 state y pipe
You will have a good understanding by the time you are done
The processor needs the basic inputs
Find a way for a BOO switch and a VSS should be on the trans already
You may have to trick the processor a little for a few circuits

Well as of right now it has BBK shorts going into an x pipe thru some Flowmaster 10s and out the back to a set of echo tips. It sounded great. I live in oklahoma and we don't have a state inspection or anything like that so people get by with alot

On that 95 the rear O2 sensors have to work (need to work)
Or it sends the processor for a loop and it will run like crap
It seems the fuel management system on the EECV is to eliminate tailpipe emissions by monitoring the electronics
That means if it sees something it does not like... I won't call it limp mode but it's close

On that 95 the rear O2 sensors have to work (need to work)
Or it sends the processor for a loop and it will run like crap
It seems the fuel management system on the EECV is to eliminate tailpipe emissions by monitoring the electronics
That means if it sees something it does not like... I won't call it limp mode but it's close
I'm 99.9% certain that 1994-1995 5.0 cars are EEC-IV and do not have downstream O2 sensors.

In fact, I'm 100% certain because my 1995 Cobra doesn't have downstream sensors and I need to use the older style code reader to pull codes.

The 95 might or better yet should have 4) O2 sensors
Ford started EECV in 1994-95 right?
That is why I was thinking no go on the repin of the processor
The 104 pin processors have smaller round pins
Like the saying goes, I have forgot more than most will ever know
Maybe we are too close to Cal here

The 94-5 V8 mustangs still used the computer like the 86-93 fox mustangs, the V6 cars had a next gen computer.
V8 sn95 mustangs had the data link under the hood, they also had a data link under the dash but it didn't work, the sn95 V6 mustangs had the working data link under the dash.
The two data link connectors on the 94-5 V8 cars can get things confusing.

Reactions: 1 user