First Mods Done, Track Times Within!

Wease

Feb 22, 2004
I bought my '86 GT this past Spring, 100% stock, no mods at all. I put 3.73 gears, BBK underdrive pullies, Pro 5.0 shifter, OR H-pipe, and Flows on, then went to a local track this past Friday night. It's not the best track, but I just wanted to see what it would do. I ended up with a best of 14.6 @ 94. Not too bad for an '86, I guess. My short time was a pathetic 2.3. :( I suck at launching on street tires, not used to that.

DR's, short belt, and some upper control arms are next, then I'll be up at Norwalk in October. Cool air, Norwalk hooks like no other, should be flirting with high 13's then... :)

• Sponsors (?)

Those are good times,especially your first time out with the car. They should get better the more you run it.

Everyone says the 86 heads don't flow and these cars are dogs. Maybe so,but every old magazine test I've seen done when the cars were new & unmodded has the 86's running just as quick or quicker than any of the other stock 87-95 5.0's in the 1/4. They had THE fastest 0-60 MPH times of any of the 5.0 Stangs. Like super302 said, with a good launch your near the 13's.

What track did you run at? Norwalk is .2 to .3 and 2-3 MPH faster than Quaker City in Salem. It is a nice sea level track with great traction.

I ran at Marion County, which is just south of LaRue, Ohio. It's not a great track, I ran a 12.5 - 12.7 in my Formula there, and a 12.0 at Norwalk with the same setup. Which is why I don't put a lot of faith in Marion's track. Norwalk in October with a couple more bolt on mods will be a good test. :)

I also have a stock set of E7 heads, which I am going to port. That plus a GT40 intake and CAI should get me deep into the 13's... :)

No, Friday night I was at Marion, in October I'll be at Norwalk. I don't race at NTR, it would take me about an hour to get there and I'd rather just wait until our Norwalk rental... :)

Wease said:
I bought my '86 GT this past Spring, 100% stock, no mods at all. I put 3.73 gears, BBK underdrive pullies, Pro 5.0 shifter, OR H-pipe, and Flows on, then went to a local track this past Friday night. It's not the best track, but I just wanted to see what it would do. I ended up with a best of 14.6 @ 94. Not too bad for an '86, I guess. My short time was a pathetic 2.3. :( I suck at launching on street tires, not used to that.

DR's, short belt, and some upper control arms are next, then I'll be up at Norwalk in October. Cool air, Norwalk hooks like no other, should be flirting with high 13's then... :)
Seems a bit high for your car and mods. I have an 89 LX with underdrive pullies, Headers, X pipe Flowmaster cat back, 355 gears, Electric fan, 5 speed, everthing else is stock and it runs 13.83 my 60 foot times are 1.96.