First oil change, what to use?

sarmikgar

Aug 8, 2008
Las Vegas
Hey all, I am new here, I bought a 03 Silver Auto GT about 2 months ago with 52k on it, was completely stock and I have put a cai on, loving it so far!

Have put about 2k on it since buying, including one 600 mile round trip to San Diego and back and I wanted to change the oil. I have no idea what has been put in the car in the past, any suggestions on what to use? I am afraid of using syn. and getting oil leaks(or worse) and am afraid not to use syn. if thats what its had in the past.

Any replies appreciated!

:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

At 54k miles and 6 years old, oil leaks should not be a concern when switching to synthetic. To me, it seems like this engine seals very well. I have yet to notice an oil leak from the engine and we've been running synthetic since we got the car with 50k miles. It has 152k now. ;)

Thanks for the quick replies!! I think I will go ahead and go with Mobil1.

Is there a preferred filter brand? And how many qts. should I buy?(sorry no manual yet, plan to grab one when I get the oil/filter)

Thanks again for the help!

Hi, I don't want to steal your thread but I want to know if I swap my heads and I replace head gaskets, I will be good to use syn right? I 'm using Quaker State oil and so far it's ok., but I want to know if I can switch to syn after my PI swap.
Thanks

ROYAL PURPLE ALL THE WAY

its deff worth the extra $$$. I work at Autozone and I've used all the oils that are worth trying and hands down you can feel the difference when switching to RP.Besides Mobil 1 is the same price as royal purple at most stores. And as for an oil filter you can't beat K&N!

just my .02
:SNSign:

i can get 5qts of Mobil 1 (any line) plus a Mobil 1 filter for 26 bucks at advance auto. and no, i dont work there.

RP is 9 bucks a quart. it isnt worth the extra 3-4 bucks per quart to me. esp not when i change it every 3k.

Mobile 1 is good stuff, the engineer on a ship i used to work on sweared by the stuff, said before when he used chevron in the engines (mind you these are 8000hp engines the size of a car) there was all sorts of carbon and gunk build-up but when they switched to mobile one it was like a night and day difference in the amount of sludge/carbon build up....

all i use is mobile 1 synthetic in my car with motorcraft filters...

So if I get one of those 6 qt. jugs that'll be enough oil correct?? They are usually going for $20-$23 at the stores around me, Wal-mart I think was the cheapest awhile ago when I was buying Syntec for my other car.

Where do you pick up the Motorcraft filters?

So if I get one of those 6 qt. jugs that'll be enough oil correct?? They are usually going for $20-$23 at the stores around me, Wal-mart I think was the cheapest awhile ago when I was buying Syntec for my other car.

yes, you can get them at pretty much any auto-parts store, infact wal-mart may carry them

I believe, if your car is an '03, it will take 6qts as the oil pan was changed slightly from the earlier models (my '99 only takes 5qts). The Walmart I go to also carries the Motorcraft filters--model #FL-820S

Motorcraft 820S and Castrol GTX conventional 5w-30 for me.

I'm not a fan of synthetic oils. I know they are great and all, but any quality oil is good to use. I've pulled the cylinder heads off my 20 year old 100+K mile 5.0 only run with GTX and the factory cylinder crosshatching is still there.

I agree with Mustang5L5

I've used Castrol oil and Motorcraft filters for 20 years with no problems. If you change the oil and filter on a regular basis you'll get the dirt and moisture out of your engine. High dollar oil is just a waste of money. :nice:

Mobil1 one is good stuff, dont be a fool and change it every 3k miles, if thats the case use their nonSYnthetic stuff. I mean why pay the extra to throw it away at 3K miles? Its good up to 9K+ miles. I for one change it at 9K miles and have been doing so for the past 3+ years on multiple vehicles(TAXIS which run HARDCORE CONTINUOS 10+ hrs a day, chevys for that matter which some are pushing 200K+ miles :) LOL ). High dollar oil, is not a waste of money, we always use the Mobil1 xtended performance on our vehicles and it flows out just like it flowed in when we first changed the oil. yeah it comes out dark/burned as heck, but it will not loose viscosity like conventional motor oil. BUT its your car, your money, do as you know best.