First oil change?

Da Stang 75

May 6, 2018
Hello all. Just got an 18 GT with the Performance Pack, Race Red and Has 560 miles so far. When is a good time for the first oil change? Read some have done it early and not waited to 3000 miles for the first. Is there a reason for an early change? Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

I also pre-fill my fresh oil filters with oil before installing to get the oil pressure up as fast as possible to avoid all of this engine ticking jazz I keep reading about. The dealers don't do this hence my DYI. Walmart sourced Motorcraft oil and FL-500 filters gets the job done. Also a good idea to buy a few plastic drain plugs incase someone wrecks taking it off. These are cheap at Ford dealers.

I know about the 10 quarts but have not heard about 15! Make sure you have it correct before proceeding with 15. My 2018 non-PP GT has a standard oil cooler which comes from the factory that way.

500 miles for all my vehicles, for the last decade or more. There's no way to know how much assembly lube, or how much foreign material was missed when it was buttoned up. Particles too fine for the filter to pick out = accelerated engine wear. Fuel dilution is also an issue for d.i. engines that have been started, run for 30 seconds, and shut down, repeatedly, as they usually are shortly after leaving the assembly line. I like to do what I can to flush out all the crap early.