First post and I miss my 6 cylinder

Slav

May 27, 2018
Chicago
Hi everyone, had 2 mustangs for 5 years and put 50,000 miles on them and I miss driving my 67-68's, had the 6 cyclinder and enjoyed working on them. Has anyone ever put the 6 cylinder 5 speed in the early Mustangs. It's been 23 years since I had my stangs and pleasantly surprised with all the improvements that have come. In the last couple weeks I am leaning to getting a 95 and up convertible with the 6 cylinder 5 speed, I do a lot of driving and need the economy. Years ago I drove to Minneapolis to visit a friend and the starter died. Bought the starter and got some blankets to lay on the ground to work on it. When I studied it I realized that I can change the starter from the top I was in heaven, it was cold out. Just trying to learn and get back into it. Either way I will have a 67-68 in the future.

Thanks Slav

• Sponsors (?)

This would be no problem to swap in the 5 speed . The 67 -68 6 cylinder uses the same bell housing as a small block does . Drive shaft will need to be shortened slightly ,and an aftermarket transmission mount to replace the standard mount . Clutch will also not be a problem with little modification

This would be no problem to swap in the 5 speed . The 67 -68 6 cylinder uses the same bell housing as a small block does . Drive shaft will need to be shortened slightly ,and an aftermarket transmission mount to replace the standard mount . Clutch will also not be a problem with little modification

no it doesnt. the 250 six uses the small block ford bell housing.

however, OP modern drivelines has all the pieces to do a T5 swap behind the small six, like the proper adapter to bolt the trans to the six cylinder bell housing, the proper throw out bearing, pilot bearing, etc.

the first thing you need to do is determine which transmission you have now. if you have the 2.77 three speed, you use one adapter, if you have teh 3.03 top loader you use a different adapter.