• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-

First test drive went very BAD!

  • Thread starter Thread starter ChromdOutDubs
  • Start date Start date Oct 25, 2007

ChromdOutDubs

Member
Sep 1, 2005
268
1
18
Tavares, Florida
Oct 25, 2007
#1
  • Oct 25, 2007
  • #1
Well I took my car out for the first time last Sunday. It was going all good, except for some reason it wont shift into third... anyways. As i was pulling back in front of my house the motor starting running like crap and stauled out. I coasted into the driveway. I pulled the valve covers and was gonna adjust the lash on the rockers and to my surprise.......






I'm guessing the poly-lock was never tightened or it just backed out. I was so pissed when i saw this, i was sure i probably broke something, but i think everything checked out good. After this i made sure everything was TIGHT! Could have been a lot worse.

Here some pictues of the car before the Test Drive.




-AJ
 

Attachments

  • 1750634683_88c4b1bd44.webp
    85.9 KB · Views: 151
  • 1751485172_1984e0a472.webp
    76 KB · Views: 151
  • 1750633939_93293b4d0d.webp
    56.1 KB · Views: 150
  • 1750633467_fe63a42ad2.webp
    47.6 KB · Views: 146
  • 1751486296_020f88e6b3.webp
    72.5 KB · Views: 153
  • 1750637729_3953fc83ca.webp
    72 KB · Views: 123

fastford91

New Member
Aug 15, 2006
254
1
0
Niagara ,Ontario, Canada
Oct 25, 2007
#2
  • Oct 25, 2007
  • #2
oh man that really sucks!! sorry about that ! but your car is sweet! im sure youll get it all figured out! good luck!
 

87foxstang

Member
May 10, 2007
0
0
16
Cromwell, CT
Oct 25, 2007
#3
  • Oct 25, 2007
  • #3
damn that sucks...but at least everything checked out ok. SICK CAR
 

Darkwriter77

Resident Ranting Negative Nancy
5 Year Member
Jul 1, 2005
315
283
134
Apache Junction, AZ
Oct 25, 2007
#4
  • Oct 25, 2007
  • #4
Looked like it broke off inside the rocker at first glance. Good to hear it all went back together, though.
 

ill advised

Member
Apr 29, 2003
656
10
19
West L.A.
Oct 25, 2007
#5
  • Oct 25, 2007
  • #5
Man, that is not a welcome sight at all. Glad to hear the damage wasn't too severe. On another note, that's great looking engine set-up.
 

ChromdOutDubs

Member
Sep 1, 2005
268
1
18
Tavares, Florida
Oct 25, 2007
#6
  • Oct 25, 2007
  • #6
Yeah I am so glad that I was as lucky as i was... And thanks everyone for the compliments about the car.
 

carbed87

Member
Jun 5, 2005
215
0
16
Oct 25, 2007
#7
  • Oct 25, 2007
  • #7
awe jeez man...so sorry to hear that. well good luck with it man, i wish you the best
 

bluevenom867

I will have images of molesting stuffed animals in
Dec 15, 2003
1,704
1
0
St.Petersburg,FL
Oct 25, 2007
#8
  • Oct 25, 2007
  • #8
Lemme guess,solid roller cam right?

Did the same thing to me on my first roller,sad thing was I knew the rockers where needing a adjustment,but my father was in a hurry to get to the track.I just didnt think they would come loose!

File the tops of your studs,so they a FLAT (no burrs,no ridge- FLAT),and then buy a good set of stud girdles.

Went Jesel shaft rockers after,never had a single problem

edit: I didnt notice at first,but I see your polylocks are for a stud girdle,did you have it torqued even?

edit2: Oh,the rocker should be good,but if its hard tuning after oiling it up you'll probably need to replace the needle bearing pack.
 

Fuzion

Member
May 24, 2005
81
0
6
Virginia
Oct 26, 2007
#9
  • Oct 26, 2007
  • #9
Sick ride!
 

Strype

Cuthbert catcher
Founding Member
May 11, 1999
61
34
104
Huntsvegas, AL
Oct 26, 2007
#10
  • Oct 26, 2007
  • #10
 

ChromdOutDubs

Member
Sep 1, 2005
268
1
18
Tavares, Florida
Oct 26, 2007
#11
  • Oct 26, 2007
  • #11
bluevenom867 said:
Lemme guess,solid roller cam right?

Did the same thing to me on my first roller,sad thing was I knew the rockers where needing a adjustment,but my father was in a hurry to get to the track.I just didnt think they would come loose!

File the tops of your studs,so they a FLAT (no burrs,no ridge- FLAT),and then buy a good set of stud girdles.

Went Jesel shaft rockers after,never had a single problem

edit: I didnt notice at first,but I see your polylocks are for a stud girdle,did you have it torqued even?

edit2: Oh,the rocker should be good,but if its hard tuning after oiling it up you'll probably need to replace the needle bearing pack.
Click to expand...

Yeah its a solid roller cam, .620/.620 lift... I have a set of stud girdles sitting here but i didn't put them on. I was gonna put them on after i got all the lash's set but never did. They will be going on before the next run though.

-AJ
 

Trbofox

Member
Oct 26, 2004
227
18
19
Erie,Pa.
Oct 26, 2007
#12
  • Oct 26, 2007
  • #12
Be thankful that you were close to home. I broke an exhaust valve spring 10 hrs. away from home right outside of Gary, In. @1:00am on our way to NMRA event in Joliet that was no fun.
 

LS-what?

Founding Member
Jan 12, 2002
133
0
0
indiana
Oct 26, 2007
#13
  • Oct 26, 2007
  • #13
Trbofox said:
Be thankful that you were close to home. I broke an exhaust valve spring 10 hrs. away from home right outside of Gary, In. @1:00am on our way to NMRA event in Joliet that was no fun.
Click to expand...

LOL Dude I used to be a cop in Gary next year when you come down go north on I-65 and stop by the house.and congradulations on the cover I'll be there someday....
 

GroverDill

GoldMember
Founding Member
Aug 18, 1999
5,442
1,490
214
Demotte IN 46310
Oct 26, 2007
#14
  • Oct 26, 2007
  • #14
Similar thing happened to me, the threads pulled out of brand new AFR 205's. This happened on the dyno during break in, ugh! So heads are being helicoiled and new common shaft rockers are going on.
 

Trbofox

Member
Oct 26, 2004
227
18
19
Erie,Pa.
Oct 27, 2007
#15
  • Oct 27, 2007
  • #15
LS-what? said:
LOL Dude I used to be a cop in Gary next year when you come down go north on I-65 and stop by the house.and congradulations on the cover I'll be there someday....
Click to expand...

They need cops in Gary, I thought we would probably have the car stolen from us and never be heard from again. That car stuck out like a sore thumb in the Sheetz parking lot and all of a sudden we had alot of friends. I'm planning on going out to the Superbowl in Joliet next year so I'll let you know. And thanks .
 

fivespeedsteed

20+ Year Stangneter
Oct 17, 2003
748
22
69
Richmond, VA
Oct 28, 2007
#16
  • Oct 28, 2007
  • #16
hey thats good you caught it in time. aliate is gonna be pissed when he sees this.
 

ChromdOutDubs

Member
Sep 1, 2005
268
1
18
Tavares, Florida
Oct 28, 2007
#17
  • Oct 28, 2007
  • #17
fivespeedsteed said:
hey thats good you caught it in time. aliate is gonna be pissed when he sees this.
Click to expand...

Is he the one who snapped his rocker in half?

-AJ
 

BlooDReigN

Member
Feb 22, 2004
283
1
16
Calgary, Alberta
Feb 14, 2008
#18
  • Feb 14, 2008
  • #18
ChromdOutDubs said:
Is he the one who snapped his rocker in half?

-AJ
Click to expand...

I snapped one of my rockers in half...maybe you are confusing us?

I had alot of problems with those rockers. The poly locks always backed off and made the rockers tick really bad.

I got the scorpion ones now and they work awesome.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

H
Ongoing Battle With Hydraulic Lifters
  • hailer06
  • Jun 8, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
446
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 9, 2026
Noobz347
Buying with a bad motor?
  • djj62478
  • Mar 8, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
395
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Mar 11, 2026
TTSaleen
Electrical Parasitic Draw, Fuse 8
  • N8827N
  • Sep 15, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
6
Views
189
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
E
2007 GT Stalls when lights or a/c turned on
  • ejscarfo
  • Jun 22, 2026
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech
Replies
3
Views
256
2005 - 2009 Specific Tech Sep 26, 2026
manicmechanic007
C
Knocking after pull- went away?
  • Connormcclark
  • Oct 6, 2025
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
280
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Oct 6, 2025
gkomo
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?