First timer

Horpocohno

Aug 10, 2009
First time poster, Recently picked up another mustang GT (1988) had 3 different ones basically over the years. This will be my first project that I will actually upgrade and play with. But I have some questions if everyone will bare with me on a long post. Thanks in advance for any info or idea's

Will list some requirements first and then post up my ideas and see if anyone has other info.

has to run on pump gas. Locally have 100 octane at the pump but would prefer a standard 91/93octane driver. Car is primarily a street car doing normal street car things. My main goal is decent power output (300-400) range and supreme handling.

My budget is between 6k-7k dollars. For the most part car is complete no serious dmg/problems and completely stock.

So my questions are these.

Supercharger? yes? no? or just pop motor and do some engine work.

Suspension wise I am thinking about one of the setups from maximum motorsports. unless there is a cheaper way to make the car handle. and if so I am all ears.

Next thing would be any additional parts I would need headers?exhaust? wheels/tires? Call me old fashion I am a fan of the pony wheels but would like to swap up to 17's instead of reg 16's.

I am just trying to figure out the best path to go to get my project off the ground. Shortest downtime ect. I don't mind waiting between mods. but I don't want to just garage the car and watch the dust settle either. I want to be able to enjoy it.

If i forgot to add something pls forgive me. I think I covered most of the area's I wanted to ask about. Like I said earlier this will be my first mod'd fox. So I don't want to spend all my money on wasted parts that won't do me any good over the long run.

• Sponsors (?)

B&G Custom turbo kit $3000.00, Megasquirt ECU $500.00, Injectors and pump $400.00 M&M Suspension $3500.00 400+ HP, and a good handling car :shrug:

Of course, thats just what I would do with that kinda money, and I've never been one to take the smartest route...A Good HCI Combo, and a freshened up motor should make mid 300's as well...

Thought about turbo. But I have a couple of problems with it. First and foremost high temps locally makes for tricky turbo problems. As well as I was thinking that a turbo might be to much instant power while trying to corner if I decide to do some track days.

MM suspension kit is 2.2k that I was looking at unless you included something else in that cost you listed.

And I am not familiar with the term HCI? is that some sort of turbo kit? or engine build kit?

HCI is Heads, cam, intake.

I generally say HCIE because youre not going to spend all the time, money, and energy on HCI and leave teh stock exhaust on there.

id recommend doing HCIE first and then thinking about boost.

agreed after talking with a few others. I think building up the motor and keeping an option open for boost later on is viable approach.

So my next question is this. What do you guys rec for HCIE? somebody have a package? or individual parts that I should be picking up?

trickflow has a few good packages. with that money I highly recommend AFR 185 or 205 heads though. then you will have to find a good intake and cam to go with it which on here there is a lot of experience with packaging them together.

165's or 185's would pry be best unless you plan on a BIG Stroker...205's are kinda overkill. Get a custom grind cam, for just a little more money than a "shelf" cam, and pick an intake. Edelbrock seems to be the most popular it seems. Could always add a blower for $1000.00 on down the road!

MM suspension to handle is ALOT more than 2200 http://www.maximummotorsports.com/i...page=product_info&cPath=1_68&products_id=1031 thats not including there clutch goodies, plus 1k minimum in braking upgrades(5 lug conversion etc), turbo will get you on the track so dont go their, then you are looking at 500-750 for new rims, plus a nice set of sticky tires will run you $400+, if you want the best of everything better add a "1" before that 6-7k budget, btw when you start to play with shock and strut upgrades and stiffer springs it also get more expensive, i paid 1k just for my shocks and struts alone

Getting the top of line everything would be wonderful. And by no means do I figure on finishing the car with the bankroll I currantly have. The suspension kit I was looking at from maximum was the
Maximum Motorsports :: The Leader In Mustang Performance Suspension
Looking at road and track box..for some reason when I post the link to it...I always get connected back to the maximum grip box.

It's one step down from their ultimate package. My car will see 90 to 95percent street use. And the road course use will strictly be for fun. For daily driving I am going to run a set of just reg 17" ponies for the look that I like. Track rims will differ of course but that will be left for my next batch of goodies.

I try to build a bankroll and do as many upgrades as I can with it. Then leave car alone and just enjoy driving it till I get another bankroll builtup. I am just trying to get the biggest bang for the buck on my currant funds. Skimping on parts would be bad. but I also don't figure I need to overkill certain things. Since all you guys have modded fords, I figured I would start here. Brake/5lug upgrades are on my list of needed items. But I think I have that handled locally thru some friends.
Thanks again for all the info. please keep it rolling in. My knowledge of modded fords is severly lacking at this point.

+ 1 I agree i recall there suspension kit being more expensive. What you can always do is just the basic shocks and springs. Then build your motor however you want, IMO Hci and a blower With nice tuning you will be impressed. And after that just keep putting money into the suspension. Im sure you'll find a real good deal on what your looking for. As for wheels and tires? if you have stock pony's i'd keep em