Flaming River Rack Conversion

• Sponsors (?)

stay away from the flaming river rack. everyone i know that has used has either had to send it back multiple times to try and get it work and gave up because FR did absolutely no R&D or if they were able to get it to work it had horrible bumpsteer or there was no way it was going to work with headers. i would look at either www.randallsrack.com or www.speeddirect.com. both of their racks are well designed and have had a lot R&D done, and they are about the same price or less than the FR unit. if you decide against a rack the FR gearbox for the mustang is supposed to be a really nice piece, too bad they couldn't make a rack that works as well.

As he said, STAY AWAY!

I tried to install one of these POS, and had nothing but trouble. I ended up sending it back and after some "negotiations" only lost about $150.

I asked them for recommendations for which headers would work, they told me which set of headers they used for development. I contacted the supplier and was able to get the exact set of headers used on the test mule.

After installing the rack, then the engine imagine my shock when the header laid right on top of the pinion shaft of the rack. Not even a chance of making this kit fit. They thought I had assembled it incorrectly, but photographs showed that was not the case.

I now have their manual gear along with a Shelby quick steer kit and other aftermarket parts. Very happy with the setup.

thanks for the heads up. I guess they make a new kit designed for headers now. Anyone have that?
The Randalls and the Steroids rack are power steering and I don't want that.
Here is the deal. I have a 67 with the old style long shaft and If I were to replace the to the short shaft after it was all said and done it would cost me about the same as getting a new FM rack kit and have a tilt colum to boot.
any advice?

Pbum5 said:
thanks for the heads up. I guess they make a new kit designed for headers now. Anyone have that?
The Randalls and the Steroids rack are power steering and I don't want that.
Here is the deal. I have a 67 with the old style long shaft and If I were to replace the to the short shaft after it was all said and done it would cost me about the same as getting a new FM rack kit and have a tilt colum to boot.
any advice?

Do yourself a favor and pretend that nothing of the sort exists no matter what a magazine or an advertisement says. There are atleast 2 people on here that have been burned rather badly by Flaming River on their "header clearing" setup ... as for the other recommendations no one has been burned... yet. Do the reSEARCH :rolleyes:

GT2K said:
Do yourself a favor and pretend that nothing of the sort exists no matter what a magazine or an advertisement says. There are atleast 2 people on here that have been burned rather badly by Flaming River on their "header clearing" setup ... as for the other recommendations no one has been burned... yet. Do the reSEARCH :rolleyes:

OK I did some searches and it seems that the R&P's are not that great.
So I am clear though.
Are people happy with the "NEW" Flamming River steering boxes?

Pbum5 said:
OK I did some searches and it seems that the R&P's are not that great.
So I am clear though.
Are people happy with the "NEW" Flamming River steering boxes?

New boxes are good. Have been a few problems but it is a small number in relation to how many people are using them. I'm sticking with my FR box until someone makes an R&P that meets my requirements.

This is a good thread. I was about ready to post the same kind of question regarding the FR rack setup for my 65 FB! My motor is out of the car and I want to take advantage of it being out to change the steering gear out. I am looking for a manual conversion kit also and would like to hear from others on their experiences. FR seems to get all the press and glory, I never heard of these companies. I wonder if the randel manual kit will clear my tri-y headers?