Flat tapper Cam/Roller block/Truck heads

DOBY

5 Year Member
Dec 22, 2018
CATAWBA
I’m new to this thread thing I just write and ask questions and help people I building a old 79 engine and have a couple of sets of p heads just wondering what it would take to use them pushrod s lifters nothing special bore 60 over

• Sponsors (?)

Years ago we used to use certain 351 heads from trucks. Back then you had to drill and tap the block for bigger head studs- 7/16 to 1/2 inch. I don't really know if theres a difference in the truck 302 heads to make it worth it.

I wouldn’t waste the time and money on a flat tappet camshaft.
It might not happen immediately, but It will fail on you. When Zinc was removed from engine oil, flat tappet cams became endangered species. You can add zinc back as an aftermarket pour in, but it isn’t the same. Cams are still failing. And when that happens, the rest of the engine will be just as dead as the flat cam.
I’m so convinced of this that I paid stupid money to have a custom roller ground for an engine that cannot have a roller in it as built by the factory.
And I made it fit.
But you don’t have to do none of that...

All you have to do is buy a set of link bar roller lifters, and the commensurate roller cam. And use regular oil, and never look back.

Or put a flat tappet cam in it, And wait.

Reactions: 2 users
I kinda agree with the roller vs flat tappet cams, as for the truck heads, not worth the time/money if you have to have work on them, p heads are a budget up grade if you can swap on some better springs and bolt them on although they have spark plug/wire fitment issues