flexplate difference

Mike66

Oct 5, 2009
can i use the same flexplate from my 289 to bolt it up to my 302? i read some where that it can be different somthing about balance. if so how do i know which one i need?:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

If im not mistaken......the later 302 engines (after 1981) used 50 oz imbalance flexplates....previous 289 & 302's used a 28 oz flexplate.....it depends really on the crankshaft, but if you know your engine came out of anything after 1981 you should need the 50 oz.

it is a newer than 1981 engine. so i need 50oz IM-balanced correct? does c4 and aod take the same flexplate?

no they do not. however C4 flexplates with the proper imbalance are available since the AOD was not used until 82 or 83. check with summit racing, they ahve a good selection of flexplates.

You need a unique plate fore the AOD, but both the 157T and 164T wheel are available for the 289/302.

TRA-650-711.jpg

so you want to bolt an AOD in place of a C4? if that is the case, and you have the post 81 302 with the 50oz imbalance, then you just need the AOD flexplate. i would also recommend using a full pressure valve body for the AOD and use the TV cable only as a kick down cable. full pressure valve bodies are available from two sources;

VB AOD

Welcome to Lentech Automatics.com