• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-

Flushing water from the radiator and block.

  • Thread starter Thread starter djj62478
  • Start date Start date Yesterday at 6:07 PM

djj62478

Member
Feb 25, 2026
42
4
18
Nj
Yesterday at 6:07 PM
#1
  • Yesterday at 6:07 PM
  • #1
So when I first put the motor in my 90, I put water in the radiator this way if there were any leaks I would not have wasted coolant and also have it all over my driveway. Now I want to swap it over to coolant. What is the proper way to do this, do you just empty the radiator and overflow and refill?
 

nickyb

I gotta say i never painted my nuts, Never Ever
15 Year Member
Apr 3, 2009
3,026
1,658
163
nevada
Yesterday at 6:52 PM
#2
  • Yesterday at 6:52 PM
  • #2
I personally would drain that water out and refill with distilled water. Run up to temp and then drain that,if any water is left it will mix with coolant and distilled water is what you want with coolant.
 

djj62478

Member
Feb 25, 2026
42
4
18
Nj
Yesterday at 7:08 PM
#3
  • Yesterday at 7:08 PM
  • #3
Does the block have to be drained? Thing is I already drained the radiator and removed the old coolant from the reservoir. I started filling up the radiator with coolant it was almost to the top then stopped and thought a minute does the block need to be drained? If so how do I do it and is there an easy way to do it?
 

DadLife0724

Advanced Member
Mar 22, 2024
385
262
73
Cooperstown, PA
Yesterday at 7:35 PM
#4
  • Yesterday at 7:35 PM
  • #4
You would probably only have a couple quarts in the block. If you did what @nickyb said, you wouldn't need to worry about it. I mean, with only a couple quarts I probly wouldn't worry about it too much anyways, unless the water is absolutely filthy.
 

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
43,394
21,597
234
Box behind Walmart
Yesterday at 7:49 PM
#5
  • Yesterday at 7:49 PM
  • #5
Stop by your local autoparts store and pickup a flush kit.
 
Reactions: DadLife0724

gkomo

now i can hopefully expect to receive the shaft
Aug 2, 2024
2,287
1,513
133
San Diego, CA
Yesterday at 9:39 PM
#6
  • Yesterday at 9:39 PM
  • #6
Reminds me I need to do a flush kit. My coolant was straight up brown when I replaced it during the supercharger install.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

K
86 GT Water Pump
  • Kade5114
  • May 11, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
172
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- May 11, 2026
nickyb
Block draining
  • JD1964
  • Mar 27, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
0
Views
134
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Mar 27, 2026
JD1964
Fox Help
  • 93fox85
  • Mar 22, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
270
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Mar 23, 2026
Noobz347
L
Car has been overheating. Not sure what is causing it. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Luckysgirl
  • Jun 2, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
201
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Jun 2, 2026
Luckysgirl
L
F
Fox 1990 Mustang GT 5.0 A9L – Engine suddenly shuts off but immediately restarts when key turned
  • FishermansFriend
  • Aug 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
16
Views
538
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 30, 2026
General karthief
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?