For all you Self Tuners....

Black1987Stang

Aug 22, 2004
Jersey Shore
Ill be turboing my car, planning on using a Tweecer R/t, and I obviously need a wideband setup, can I use this with it. Has anybody used this kit before, any bad things about it? I think its awesome how it reads from both banks, not just one, or can also pick so it averages both banks together and tells the average of both. Plus I can also get a discount with Comp Cams :D what do you all think, i havent heard of many people using it but it looks like an awesome product, ????:SNSign:
heres the link for it http://www.compperformancegroupstor...=FS&Product_Code=170402&Category_Code=AIRFUEL

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, it looks like the LC-1 will do everything that system will do, but at only $200 per sensor.

I will be using 2 LC-1's on my 410w build.
The stock sensors will be replaced with the WB's.

Looks to be a good system, but for the price I think you could get better.

jason

what does this stuff do?

sorry to highjack this thread. i have always been interseted in this kind of stuff but never understood it. i know its used to measure the air fuel ratio but how is it benificial? cant you have your system dyno tuned and that be that? like using a tweecer or other similar components what advantage do they have over having it tuned in right once then left alone? once again i know it was off topic but i really would like to understand how and why this stuff works. if someone could let me on any info it would be much appreciated. pm me or send me some usefull links. thanks guys

sorry to highjack this thread. i have always been interseted in this kind of stuff but never understood it. i know its used to measure the air fuel ratio but how is it benificial? cant you have your system dyno tuned and that be that? like using a tweecer or other similar components what advantage do they have over having it tuned in right once then left alone? once again i know it was off topic but i really would like to understand how and why this stuff works. if someone could let me on any info it would be much appreciated. pm me or send me some usefull links. thanks guys

if you have it dyno tuned at a shop, they burn u a custom chip yada yada, it will be tuned, BUT u change the intake, or gas octane or idk whatever, then that tune isnt %100 full potential, so whats that mean, pay another 400+bucks to have it retuned.....BUT if i have a self tuning system, u can tune it as many times as u want, and like for the Tweecer, u can burn like 4 different Tunes, and change them at a turn of a dial, u can make one for good gas mileage, mild power, for another spot, crazy all out radical tune for another spot, and all can be change at the turn of a dial, (if ur cruising, n someone pulls up :) , turn the dial and ur ready to go), not saying me or you street race but saying an example of what it could do. Only downside with the Tweecer, u need to know how the computer works, with the load/fuel timing tables, etc., Its not like a plug and play thing. that might help a little

The stock Narrow Band O2 sensor tells the computer 1 of 2 things.
1. the motor is rich
2. the motor is lean
The stock O2 cannot tell the computer how far off from stoich the mixture is.

With a WB you can see exactly what the mixture is...

Most dyno tunes don't do much (if anything for drivability). With your own tuning system, you are free to do what ever you want with the idle/part throttle settings.

jason

I agree with everything you said, except for one thing. You have a ton of good info on self tuning, i have read a lot of it because im trying to decide to sell my tweecer and get a dyno tune or keep it and try it out. But if you have a good reputable tuner then they should solve your driveability issues to.

Me and my friendtuned his kenne bell blowzilla setup on his SN 5.0. We used a zetronix wideband (he kinda cheaped out) but after figuring out all the features of the tweecer RT we managed to tune the car by ourselves and get some respectable power. the car went 13.2 at 115 which shows we had some serious power in the motor just no traction (spinning through 3rd). the wideband is essential for making sure the motor is safe. We had two tunes setup on the tweecer one for12:1 nominal AFR and one with a real safe 10.5:1 b/c we had some pinging issues. A wideband will let you knwo exactly whats goin on..def get the best setup u can afford...i will be going with the L-1c setup when i supercharge my car

thanks guys

where can i find info on the air/fuel tables and etc. how do i know when i am making optimal power and have a perfect tune. and as far as you knowing if your rich/lean im guessing a fuel pressure regulator is going to be required or can the tweecer set the computer to deliver more fuel? because i would love to be able to apply my own tune but i dont want to just play around with it and end up mesing something up trying to learn. does a tweecer help out with the timing and all. not base timing but advancing it through out the rpm range? and one more question if i where to buy a wideband/tweecer setup how complicated is it to operate. i deal with computers and differnt types of designing software everyday so its not as if im new to electronics but tuning a car is a whole differnt ball game.

The tweecer is able to control timing advance through a few different tables. Timing advance can be changed very effectively and with real time data logging its easy to see how the timing changes are affecting the AFR. The fuel can be adjusted by changing the injector pulsewidth and the duration that the injector is opened. that in combination with an AFPR will give you all the customization you would ever need. You can also tell the computer what size injectors you are using. All the changes you make will be visible on the data log and your AFR will be the major indicator of how the motor is running. The Yahoo tweecer forum, the tuning forum on here, and turbomustangs.com are all great resources to get a baseline tuneup as a place to start from and great information about tuning.