For those of you who smoothed and filled engine bay holes!

88-378

Aug 10, 2007
Alpharetta, GA
I have a new found respect for all of you. My buddy welded up about 80% of the holes in my bay and I finally got to grinding them down today and put a few coats of good old bondo. (love that smell!!)

but man, what a job grinding!! I am exhausted!!

• Sponsors (?)

The real PITA comes when it's time to sand and smooth all the bondo and make it look good. I honestly can't believe there's no company marketing sheetmetal fender covers yet.

What I've never been able to understand is why the holes are there to begin with!!! Why would the factory make the stamping dies that punch them in? What logical purpose do they serve? Panels can obviously be stamped without them... or else fenders/doors would have them too. It's just retarded and makes the engine compartment look like crap. If someone says they are to save weight, I don't buy it... what would you save, like 5 pounds tops? Whoooopy!

That is hands down the longest part of the project car. If you smooth the engine bay that will take days/weeks/months depending how much you work on it and the extent of the work. I give mad props to those people too.

yea, cougars, fairmonts, lincoln mark VII's, mustangs. The holes all serve a purpose, just not on everycar. I have 80+ hours into my engine bay and it was so much work but totally worth it. The engine bay is so clean now.
I'm an engine bay pic whore (its all I got to show off right now) lol

DSCN1052.jpg

man, i've seen some insane engine bays on this site.... but i couldn't imagine wrenching on a car with that kind of liability all around me, haha, one slip with a screwdriver or wrench and you'd more than likely have to kill yourself :rlaugh:

man, i've seen some insane engine bays on this site.... but i couldn't imagine wrenching on a car with that kind of liability all around me, haha, one slip with a screwdriver or wrench and you'd more than likely have to kill yourself :rlaugh:

ohhh yeah haha its not too much fun. after awhile you just say screw it, its not a show car, well at least i did

mac n black your bay looks awesome

Mine WILL not look like that!! there is no way I am spending that much time and energy! I filled most, but a lot of stuff will cover the holes that aren't filled. I plan on hiding some (not all) wires as well.

I am not looking for show like the above or 25th's. Just want it nice and clean looking. Plus, i still have to keep emmissions for another 4 years so..

What I am doing though is re-looming ALL wires with Painless black wire braid for a nicer look. Doing the hoses and fuel lines too. It should look nice.

What I've never been able to understand is why the holes are there to begin with!!!

Because each new year had revisions to the dies...and rather than remove old holes, they just carried forward. If you go back to '79 there are actually less holes than a '93 will have. Remember that there were a total of like 4 engines available over the years unless i'm forgetting something (4 bangers, V6, the infamous 255ci and the 302). All variations with all the different fuel induction versions and all the emissions crap, all that adds up to a lot of useless holes over a 14 year stretch.

In the process of doing my engine bay. Going to hide most of the wires. Nothing going to the extreme with it. Filled all the holes from the Strut Towers forward. Made plugs for any holes larger than a screw. It is time consuming and wouldn't be possible without my friends help.

^ Even for the ease it can't compare to a real smooth job w/the factory metal (or complete replacement panels). The sharp edges make it look rough, at least to me. :shrug:

funny someone brings up that nobody has metal covers for the fender wells. I'm in the process of mocking up a set i hand made for my coupe. I hope it will look good,ialso did the wire hiding and smoothed over all the holes but i'm going for another look with my idea. i'll post some pics here soon.peace

john:p