• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

Forged Parts for 4.6l

  • Thread starter Thread starter Intel486
  • Start date Start date Dec 19, 2003
I

Intel486

New Member
Dec 19, 2003
15
0
0
New Orleans, LA
Dec 19, 2003
#1
  • Dec 19, 2003
  • #1
Well, I have a 2000 F-150 w/ the 4.6l engine and no one on the truck sites knows the 4.6l engine but I know Mustang owners do so I'm coming to you all for some help. I've been searching around the site some and trying to learn as much as I can.

I've been spraying a 100 shot on my truck and I've finally broken something. The truck idles extremely rough, the idle rpms vary, and I pulled the plugs and #8 came out crushed. Awesome! So, I'm just gonna go ahead and take this as an excuse to put a forged bottom on the engine while I have the heads off.

I'm gonna be doing the work myself w/ a friend. He knows how to do it but I have to find the parts I want... so, that's what I'm searching for right now. What brands I want and the best prices out there.

The engine will eventually be getting supercharged. Eventually meaning in August I'll most probably have the $ for one.

I'll be building on a Mustang GT Block. Not sure what year but I can get that info tomorrow if you need it.

I'm gonna go w/ Manley H-beam rods and ARP studs.

Now for the crank. Will the Cobra Billet Steel Crank work in this engine and is that a good crank?

What brand of pistons and rings should I go with? So far I've been looking at the Manley Pistons if I get them through SHM. Otherwise I'm looking at Probe or CP. Have no clue on rings.

No clue on bearings, Any suggestions?

I appreciate the help.
 

98GTfromGA

Founding Member
Mar 17, 2002
291
0
0
Memphis
Dec 19, 2003
#2
  • Dec 19, 2003
  • #2
www.modularperformance.com they sell everything you need and I'm sure they can give you some suggestions
btw the cobra crank is great so are the manleys
if you know you are gonna boost it then get CP pistons
they are expensive but worth it for blower motors
 
I

Intel486

New Member
Dec 19, 2003
15
0
0
New Orleans, LA
Dec 20, 2003
#3
  • Dec 20, 2003
  • #3
Thanks for the link.

The people here running a lot of boost, what kind of pistons are they using and what compression ratio?
 

DBMSTNG

I fantasize about it being BIG!
Founding Member
Apr 23, 2002
2,120
0
56
not quite here
Dec 20, 2003
#4
  • Dec 20, 2003
  • #4
i'm using 17cc dish pistons which create the stock 9:1 compression ratio for 99-00 GT's. should be the same on your F-150.

the only differences between your engine and a GT engine is the intake and ECU.

the Cobra crank is great and it works just like your stock one, only stronger. i have JE pistons and Manley rods. no complaints here.

contact Cobra Killer on this site or check out houston performance. get a complete assembled shortblock. it's your best bet.
 
I

Intel486

New Member
Dec 19, 2003
15
0
0
New Orleans, LA
Dec 20, 2003
#5
  • Dec 20, 2003
  • #5
Thanks, Guess I'll be giving giving JE pistons a look.

I'm also gonna be pulling the plugs again on my truck. Think I lost another cylinder.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

G
Need tuning help with 4100 Carburetor
  • Gary’s 67
  • Aug 18, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
206
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Aug 22, 2026
manicmechanic007
Engine Random Misfire at idle.
  • Gulftown980x
  • Jul 29, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
11
Views
468
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jul 31, 2026
squeak93
B
97 GT with 03 explorer Eddie Bauer edition 4.6l
  • basbill73
  • May 10, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
112
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- May 11, 2026
squeak93
Engine Are These rings OK?
  • PonyGTrider
  • Sep 21, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
230
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 26, 2026
PonyGTrider
Engine Looking for suggestions and or ideas
  • PonyGTrider
  • Aug 25, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
490
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 7, 2026
PonyGTrider
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?