Foxbody For First Car?

KTMrida4life

Aug 6, 2012
So I am very new here, but not new to forums or cars.. I am 18, I will be 19 in a week. Right now I am driving my uncles 1995 Nissan 240SX (dare I mention it here) and its great to drive, it handles great, but its terribly slow and there is only space for 2 people and some stuff in the back seat + trunk.

I want something quicker with more space, and no trunk. I want to try a hatchback... and I think a foxbody 5.0 would be a pretty good choice. My parents have both agreed to help me buy my first car. Unlike alot of people, Im not so sure I want to buy something that runs right off the bat. Looking on CL all I can find for 5k~ are fox bodies that have 150k+ miles on them and your typical mods. I dont like the high mileage, and I dont know who did the work or how well they did it or if it was even ever performed to begin with.

I can work on cars, I have tools, and Im willing to learn. I dont know my way around a mustang in particular, but I have worked on many cars on all sorts of stuff. No suspension stuff yet, but alot of other things. Biggest project I have taken on was rebuilding a Jeep 4.0 inline 6, which was a fun project.

I dont care so much for a spotless show car interior and exterior (it can always be cleaned up/fixed) as I do for something that drives/runs excellent. They said that $5,000 is my budget, and I figure I can come up with another $500 or $1,000 of my own. So figure a budget of around 6000$ for now. I dont have the cash now, so this is just talk for right now.

I have a question for everyone.. with my budget, what am I able to achieve out of a fox body?

Im not looking to build a monster (well I am, but I cant on my budget, and this is a DD), but if I could get 300 RWHP out of it with my budget that would be awesome. Thats twice what I got now with twice as many cylinders and about 500 pounds less weight. I dont know if that 300RWHP out of the 5.0 is possible or not on my budget, Ive never ventured into car performance.. so I am asking.

Thats what I am looking for though. I want to buy a mustang GT (running or not, but has 5.0) and do all of the good stuff (subframe connectors, 5 lug conversion, rear disc brakes, H/C/I, exhaust, CAI, short shifter, etc) and achieve that 300RWHP. Is that possible on my budget?

I am in NC, so for anyone who wants to help me a bit and look for a good starter car for this project feel free to look.. I found this.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/3163240998.html

Heres a link to one that I found. 800$.. missing a few parts.. whats everyones opinion on that? That would leave me with 4700~ to play with for goodies. Is that enough to do what I want to do?

Ha, I'm in Raleigh and looked at that same car last week! Deff project car, but if you are really looking for a project, the price is right. The only thing I have to say really is be careful if you build a 300+rwhp fox, it is gonna break loose every time you punch it. Believe me, these cars were the car to have while I was in high school, and I've seen so many of them wrecked at 100% stock.

Those are all very nice! I forgot to mention 2 things. I do want a hatch, and I want a manual. I really like that first one, too bad its not a hatch. Their all carb'ed too, Ive never had a carb car... is EFI more difficult to tune?

If I get one, I probably wont get rid of it for a while. By the time I did get rid of it, getting all my money back wouldnt matter so much. I just dont know if my budget is enough cash to get it done. It doesnt have to all be done at once obviously.. but IMO the motor comes first! Motor/rear end/gearing/brakes/suspension. Other stuff can wait.

Thats a coincidence! I am looking for a project for sure, dont plan on driving it for a while. I assume by breaking loose you mean traction.. its a light car with a lot of power, I guess thats to be expected. Ive never driven anything that quick, but Ive screwed around a bunch in my lil 240 and been sideways more than I can count :X

Ill be careful for sure, well, at least what I consider careful. I get most of my "speed fix" from motocross.. actually right now Ive been out of commission for the past 2 1/2 months because I broke my leg riding.