Front discs only or front and rear?

CarFreakGT

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
May 26, 2003
Louisville, KY
I've been reading some posts recently RE: disc brake swaps. It's a future consideration for my 68 coupe. From a couple of the posts, I got the impression that some think the rear swap isn't much of a bang-for-the-buck. The car will be a weekend cruiser w/ possibly an occasional trip to the track down the road. I would like to do some suspension mods as well for improved handling, but I'm not looking to autocross or anything.

I'm just curious about others' opinions RE: front and rear disc swap vs. front disc swap only. If I left out any relevant info, please let me know. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

My 67 had drums all around when I bought it. Had to stand on the pedal to stop. I had Wilwood calipers and rotors installed along with a power brake booster and master cylinder. World of difference. I will probably add rear discs sometime down the rotor just for eye appeal. A few years ago I put Firebird rear discs on my S10 Blazer and that made a significant difference in stopping. I dooubt that would be the case with our Mustangs.

You said it all... rear disk conversions for a weekend cruiser are hard to get your moneys worth. I started with drums all around and swapped out the front-end with disks. That made an incredible difference with-out a doubt. I would lover to upgrade to disks all around, but have other areas where the money will be better spent now (IMHO).

Good front discs will do the trick. I used to open track the MAch with bigger discs in front, and F-150 drums out back with a properly sized M/C. Tons of brake!

If you are watching your budget, the Granada/Maverick swap is the way to go. Also look at Masterpower brakes for a complete kit.

chepsk8 said:
Good front discs will do the trick. I used to open track the MAch with bigger discs in front, and F-150 drums out back with a properly sized M/C. Tons of brake!

exactly the way i plan on going with my mustang, and my falcon.