Front Main Seal Removal Question

• Sponsors (?)

When you pull the balancer, you should be able to yank the front main seal like you would the rear, by threading a screw into it and pulling. Then it's just as simple as tapping the new one in place and popping the balancer back on.

When you pull the balancer, you should be able to yank the front main seal like you would the rear, by threading a screw into it and pulling. Then it's just as simple as tapping the new one in place and popping the balancer back on.

I don't believe it'll be that simple. The front seal is encased in a steel shell. You have to pry it out of the timing cover. I did mine when it was off the car and I was really a little worried that it would crack the cover when I was hitting it with a punch and hammer to remove it, and then the seal installer and a hammer to put the new one in. One tip: put a little sealer on the new one, around the outside of the housing where it slides into the cover. Mine is seeping from this area. Good luck! :nice:

Scott

If it's the stock one, it should come out without too much difficulty. The aftermarket replacements are the ones that typically have the steel around them. I didn't think the new one I put in my timing cover would go in at first, but once I started tapping on it and it started, it seated with no problem.

also I have my distributor out right now, it would be fine if the crank spins as long as I set it back to tdc right?

Also using an impact wrench will be fine right?, last time when I removed my harmonic balancer, it was a pain in the ass of jamming in screw drivers to try and get the crank to stop turning, since I have an automatic trans. I wont be putting the nuts and stuff on with the impact however.

Impact wrench will be fine. That's the only way I've been able to get that bolt free. Some have said you can break it loose by putting a breaker bar on the wrench and bump the engine over, but I wouldn't try that with the distributor out.

If you still have the heads on, careful when setting TDC. I thought I had set it right, but I was about 90deg out. Messed me up good.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/iwwida.pvx?;item?item_no=LRS-6700B 1&comp=LRS

more than likely this is the seal that is in the car right now. i usually just use a seal puller to remove it, usually works the easiest. you wont be able to just slap a screw driver on the seal and pry it out because of the metal case thats on it.
if you seal is like the link below that will work but other wise i would recommend the puller.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/iwwida.pvx?;item?item_no=MG-780G 1&comp=LRS

good luck with the car.

Well I got the actual seal out but the metal casing around it wont even budge. The metal is only bending and just wont pop out. What else could be done before I get pissed off and take the water pump and timing cover off?

-Dan