front main seal

• Sponsors (?)

gotta pull the balancer, so you'll need to rent/borrow or buy a balancer puller from autozone, etc. They're like $15 to buy. I'd leave the water pump attached to the timing cover and just pull the timing cover w/ water pump attached. You'll probably end up having to pull the thermostat housing unless you have gear wrenches if I remember correctly because it's kinda tight. I think I got the cover off w/ the thermo housing on, but ended up pulling it anyway for some reason, so might as well do it from the beginning and make it easier. The timing cover is fragile, so easy w/ it. Pry your old seal out and gently tap the new one in. I use a small piece of wood to distribute force and gently tap and move it around accordingly. Sometimes this is difficult. BTW, clean everything off really well. Put the gaskets on the oil pan lip w/ some sealer or something and let it sit so they don't move around...that sucks!

Good Luck.

do other seals leak? i would first ensure that the PCV is up to par - if not, new seals will leak also.

good luck.