Front oil drain plug

groupbmonster

Aug 21, 2006
Is the front drain plug on the oil pan for an 89 look about the same as the rear plug? Like a bolt head?

I talked to a friend and he has a 90 and his front plug is the same style as the rear. But my front is a type that doesnt have a head like a bolt, it is round and looks as though its made to be tightened by hand.....hard to explain and i cant currently get pics.

Anyway its leaking and i wanted to try and get a new gasket for it (its actually almost like a grommet) but couldnt find anything that matched what i have. i could only find the rear plug.

The pan changed in between 89 and 90 correct? thats why id need a new pickup to use the newer pan.

Any input will help. thanx

• Sponsors (?)

I 3rd that-its probably rounded. But what you can do is run down to your local ford dealership and get 2 new drainplugs. I think ford had recalled those older drainplugs with stupid gaskets that leaked. They have new drainplugs with plastic gaskets that dont leak. I had the older onse on my car, switched to newer ones and now no more leaks :D

thanx guys.....its definately not a rounded bolt head.....not even close , i wish i could get a pic for you guys. im wondering if the threads in the pan were stripped and replaced with something different seeing as you all seem to have a bolt there. anybody ever seen a stripped bolt replaced with something completely different in this situation before?

If it wont come out, you will want to find a way to fix it or a means of vacuuming out the front hump during oil changes since ~.75-1 quart get stuck up there.

Do you see any carnage to the inside (rearside) of the anti-sway bar?

Good luck.

thanx guys.....its definately not a rounded bolt head.....not even close , i wish i could get a pic for you guys. im wondering if the threads in the pan were stripped and replaced with something different seeing as you all seem to have a bolt there. anybody ever seen a stripped bolt replaced with something completely different in this situation before?

I've seen some pretty weird plugs that are designed to go in once the threads have been stripped out, some of them were hand-tightened I believe. You may well have something like that.

I have also seen and installed some weird looking drain plugs, like the type that yave a little lever on them and you hold it down while the oil drains out. its kinda a quick way to drain your oil but i dont trust them.