front strut suspension?

• Sponsors (?)

LMan said:
you mean Mustang II front suspension?
no mustang 2 uses control arms and cuts out the shock towers. The Fox body cars still have shock towers but the spindles accept struts which you can convert over to coilover struts.
dmsalex.jpg

you can put PBR brakes on stock spindles.

I know of 1 fella that has Crown Vic spindles on his '68, but Ive not seen Foxbody stuff on a vintage car yet. Im sure someone has done it somewhere, though.

Looks like a lot of geometry issues to sort out.

With a strut type suspension and a rack and pinion you could get better steering than the old recirculating ball. That would be a nice improvement.

However, the factory SLA first gen. Mustang suspension is superior to a strut in some ways. You get better camber gain with SLA, for instance.

IMO my 1970 vert handles better than either of the two Fox Mustangs I've owned. Now a big part of that is the rear "quadra bind" in the Foxes, I know... And I've relocated the UCAs down by 2 inches and added subframe connectors, those changes did make a very noticeable difference in my '70.

Anyhoo, everyone's got an opinion, right? :D

what we really need is someone to make a set of dropped spindles for the early stangs. they will improve the camber curve, scrub ratio and something else i'm forgetting, doing that in addition to the shelby drop or even lower drop would yield a far superior suspension design than just about anything else that can be done to the early car suspension.

personally i would rather have a 70 drum spindle that has a 2" drop, so i can use the boss 302 TA style 12" "big brake kit" with 1.25" wide 12" diameter rotors and 4 piston kelsey hayes caliper, or the new aluminum versions from SSBC.

yeah, me too - 70 drum 2" drop spindle

That would solve the UCA clearance problem I have with Unique coilovers - it clears, but just too close for comfort, and it just seems to make sense to have it lower . . .

the Unique kit never came with a coilover adjustment tool, so now I have to order one for the QA1 kit, and I need to call their tech support to get instructions just in case . . . :rolleyes:

bnickel said:
personally i would rather have a 70 drum spindle that has a 2" drop, so i can use the boss 302 TA style 12" "big brake kit" with 1.25" wide 12" diameter rotors and 4 piston kelsey hayes caliper, or the new aluminum versions from SSBC.

If you want to go strut, RRS is the only way to go. The Fatman kit is only $1995 or whatever, but it's incomplete. Once you buy everything else you need you're similar in price to RRS, and RRS is a better-engineered system.

Just my .02, but an "experienced with strut kits" .02.

Kinda funny, some of the Fox body race guys are converting their strut suspensions to our old suspensions. I know a handful that have done it and state that it is much better. I'd go with the TCP coilover conversion with their UCA and LCA + rack and pinion. Add an '03 cobra rear independent suspension and you have yourself a Cadillac. :lol: There were a few kits on ebay for strut conversions but they are not cheap. I can't seem to find them now but they had various stages of kits and the price went up for each stage.

LMan said:
I agree, no one ever said the original Fox suspension was anything but the cheapest idea around. To spend real $$$ and time to get the front-end of a 1980 Fairmont doesn't spell "progress" to me........:shrug:
I wouldn't spend real money that's why i asked for home brew. If these guys can bolt em up with some shock tower adapter there's no reason why a guy with a mill and a lathe can't do it too and for a lot less than $2000-$3000!!. I just wana try to get 17x9.5s in front and some better brakes :p