Front Wheels Shimmy On Easy Right Turn

I have an 05 GT with 215000 miles. I've replaced both lower ball joints and all tie rods but I can't get rid of a shimmy . It usually happens around 60 mph and only when making a slight turn to the right. If you are turning very hard it will shake just as you start to turn, then stop when it gets a little more pressure on it, and you can feel it as you straighten out. The only thing I can find a little slack in is the rack and pinion. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had anything similar.

• Sponsors (?)

Mine was doing that, I changed my tie rod ends and the problem went away. The slack you notice in the rack is probably the inner tie rod ends. Since you have to get an alignment, you should change inner and outer while you are there. I tried 3 times to do a self alignment, I could get the car to track straight, but I was eating the inside edge of the tires. Once I had the alignment done right, all was good.

UPDATE: It seems that the drivers side lower ball joint is also bad, so I have the new one, and have to install it, but I was told by the front end guy that the strut mounting bolts, the ones that bolt the spindle to the strut, were a torque to yield bolt, and needed to be replaced. I have looked and searched everywhere, and I can't find confirmation on that, but I did order the caster/camber adjustable bolts, which replaces the top bolt with an eccentric bolt, so that when doing the front end alignment, that they can adjust it. I should know by the end of the week if this solves this.

Didn't you say you just DID the lower ball joints? It does make sense that if the spindle is slightly loose you'd get big problems, PLUS IT'S DANGEROUS! Don't drive it at all til you find out about those bolts. don-ohio

So, after looking into the bolt issue, it turns out that the bolts were loose, and I would have been the moron that didn't torque them, but after torquing them, and replacing the other ball joint, the shimmy is history and it is back driving like it should. I did order the caster adjustment bolts from amazon, which sold the moog bolts for less than $20.00 in case they needed them to align it, but it was in spec without them so now I have them for later if I decide to lower the ride. Thanks for all of the input!