Fuel Filler Neck Check Valve

01snakevenom

Sep 7, 2011
Hello Everybody,

Yesterday I was dropping my fuel tank to replace the pump and as I was pulling the filler neck out of the tank, the small plastic check valve burst into several pieces. I've read that this is built in to the neck itself and the only remedy is a new neck. These are fairly expensive for what they are. I've read that this is an anti siphoning device but I've also read that this piece helps in flipping off the pump when the tank gets full. My question is what exactly does that valve do and what would be the consequences of not replacing it?

Thanks,
Adam

• Sponsors (?)

I've read that this is an anti siphoning device but I've also read that this piece helps in flipping off the pump when the tank gets full. My question is what exactly does that valve do and what would be the consequences of not replacing it?
The purpose of the valve at the end of the filler neck is two fold.
  • Anti-spill valve after a roll over accident. It does not shut off the fuel pump during a roll over. That is handled by the IFS switch.
  • Anti-siphon valve
As far as consequences I can't think of any except if you are involved in a roll over accident and find yourself trapped in a car leaking gas.............