Fuel fuel filler neck

mike2

Jun 11, 2019
hampton nj
Hi everryone , i got motor mounts and exhaust done . need auxillary tank fix. I pulled tank, has crack thats fixable but filler necks have some good rust .Has anybody found replacement filler neck or adaptable filler neck and fuel hose. i have been looking at 1970 mustang necks and 2 1/4 id fuel hose ant thoughts ?

Attachments

• IMG_2554.jpg
    IMG_2554.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_2555.jpg
    IMG_2555.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_2556.jpg
    IMG_2556.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 319
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

This is right where i'm at too
I'm thinking the 73 filler neck and some 2.25 gas hose
will not be a bolt in though I think

i've looked far and wide on inter web for a 4 cylinder filler neck with no luck

I hope someone else chimes in with a good idea.

was also thinking the 79-80 type mustang filler and cutting the screw cap end off leaving flange and screw to 77 flange sandwiching fender.
but don't know

s-l1600-3.jpg

either way I still want to hook the vent tubes back up but to what right?

I tried 2.25" hose and parts of the original neck after removing the aux tank on my '74. It resulted in it leaking from the seal in the side of the tank, but yall's results may vary.

Phil's Mustang II specialty shop had a non aux tank neck when I needed one a few years back, might check with him.

It's been a while, but I think you can get a replacement seal. When I did that work to the Fox tank and installed it into my car I seem to remember getting a new one from Amazon....

Amazon product ASIN B00CHRYQ8GView: https://www.amazon.com/1974-1981-Mustang-Tank-Filler-Neck/dp/B00CHRYQ8G/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=mustang+II+fuel+tank+seal&qid=1567470556&s=gateway&sr=8-1

I think what I would do, unless you're looking to get rid of the auxiliary tank, would be repair the crack as best you can then use a tank liner such as Red Kote to eliminate leakage from the crack. You could probably clean them up and do the same for the filler tubes? Then reinstall with the new seal and you'd be golden.

I was thinking of eliminating the aux tank, but i think i'm going to try plastic welding the crack first. The crack is only an inch and a quarter and i ran a saw blade in it and its actually a 3/8" split. i have some Bil Hirsch miracle paint for the metal fittings on the inside of the tank and the short piece to the tank.

Got the tank welded up with harbor freight 17$ welder and oil can plastics which is same plastic used in gas tanks. No leaks. Ordered new metal tank and filler seal and sender.
2A5D9A73-B1EE-48CE-9110-A231DD649407.jpeg

Attachments

• 9377CD7C-4D8A-47DE-A424-7FC9E56407F7.jpeg
    9377CD7C-4D8A-47DE-A424-7FC9E56407F7.jpeg
    298.6 KB · Views: 226
  • 8570F765-423C-4761-8B49-6553353DDDA8.jpeg
    8570F765-423C-4761-8B49-6553353DDDA8.jpeg
    240.4 KB · Views: 217
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users
Got the tank welded up with harbor freight 17$ welder and oil can plastics which is same plastic used in gas tanks. No leaks.

Wow! Mine spit on the seam where the lower hose goes on.
Do you think that could be welded the same?
I'm intrigued.

Wow! Mine spit on the seam where the lower hose goes on.
Do you think that could be welded the same?
I'm intrigued.
If you can follow this video:

View: https://youtu.be/gRCMIDILfEI

You can plastic weld. You can buy a basic purpose-made plastic welder from Harbor Freight, or a much nicer kit from Amazon (I use the MiniWeld at work), or a soldering iron like Delboy.

The best thing about plastic welding is that you can literally use trash to fix things. Ziptie remnants, busted splash shields off cars, oil bottles, soda bottles, even plastic straws and coffee stir sticks can be used as long as you match up material types.

That spot sounds tougher than mine , its worth trying. Though and plastic from oil cans is hdpe i think. The recycle symbols have type of plastic . Was very easy to do a little patience and practice. Or you can bypass tank with fittings easily found on web. 2-1/4 pipe and hose easily found. I saw 1970 mustang fuel filler neck for 29$. Looks like a good fit to start with . Post a pic would be neat to see. I may have mine back together next week if parts come soon. Good luck.