fuel gauge issue

Jaym14

Jan 26, 2009
Long Island, N.Y.
My car has had a dysfunctional fuel gauge since I've owned it. It goes past F when the tank is full and runs empty on 1/4 tank. So today my buddy/mechanic swapped a new sending unit (purchased from late model) for me. Now he said it shows empty at 1/2 a tank instead of 1/4. Anyone have any ideas on whats going on? Maybe the cluster is bad? I didn't actually do the swap so I don't have any actual hands on time with this yet but wanted to see what you guys thought before I tear into it myself when I get the car back.

• Sponsors (?)

I dealt with this for a couple weeks now and I pretty much ended up replacing the gauge itself, anti slosh, and the sending unit... Finally it works pretty good but not perfect. Ive been picking up the slosh reg at local junk yards and I think I have the best one in the car fianlly :) anyways if you already changed out the sending you I would recommend replacing the slosh and see if that helps.

I dealt with this for a couple weeks now and I pretty much ended up replacing the gauge itself, anti slosh, and the sending unit... Finally it works pretty good but not perfect. Ive been picking up the slosh reg at local junk yards and I think I have the best one in the car fianlly :) anyways if you already changed out the sending you I would recommend replacing the slosh and see if that helps.

going to try that, thanks.