• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Fuel injection questions

  • Thread starter Thread starter HOOKERBEAR
  • Start date Start date Oct 23, 2011

HOOKERBEAR

Member
Aug 6, 2011
33
0
7
Utah
Oct 23, 2011
#1
  • Oct 23, 2011
  • #1
I have a 90 GT that I turbo'd as well as put #42 injectors with matching MAF and 255 LPH fuel pump. My question is how much fuel pressure do I need to be running with this setup? It currently runs between 41-44 psi on the rail, do I need to be running more than that? Would it make a big difference if I put an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator on it? Its also running rich and seems to be loading up on idle (there are no vacuum leaks), if there is anything I can do to get it to run better than that short of tuning(chip) I'd love some suggestions. I'm also curious about how others who have put larger than the factory 19 lb injectors on their Mustangs and how they behave.
 

BlownFiveLiter

have car, will race....wait, it doesn't run
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
3,133
18
108
Chicagoland
Oct 23, 2011
#2
  • Oct 23, 2011
  • #2
Most tuners are probably going to want you at the factory pressure of ~39 PSI with the vacuum line disconnected. With a turbo and 42's, you really want to get it tuned, or you're going to become a master at replacing head gaskets in no time flat.
 

prgt347

Active Member
Jan 16, 2009
52
7
29
Oct 26, 2011
#3
  • Oct 26, 2011
  • #3
With my setup and the factory computer it ran rich also. Running 30# injectors. I took mine over to JMS in Lucedale, MS and they smoothed it all out. I've been very pleased with their tune and the price wasn't bad. I'm sure there are other shops in N.O. but this one isn't too far from you, if you want another to consider. Take I-10 east to Exit 69 (HWY 63 / Pascagoula) and go North and follow it for about 20-30 minutes. JMS is on the left out in the middle of nowhere. Give them a call first, though...
 
2

2002BLGT

Well-Known Member
Dec 18, 2003
2,945
4
59
Bedford VA
Oct 27, 2011
#4
  • Oct 27, 2011
  • #4
Set fuel pressure at 39 with no vacuum on the regulator , hook the vacuum line back up , verify your 0 mark on your balancer with TDC and make sure its not wobbling , set base timing at 10 degrees and then get it to a tuner for a dyno tune.
 

HOOKERBEAR

Member
Aug 6, 2011
33
0
7
Utah
Oct 28, 2011
#5
  • Oct 28, 2011
  • #5
My current fuel pressure with no vacuum hooked up is 41 PSI. my next questions are what are the conditions that cause head gaskets to blow? running too rich, too lean? Since it has 42 lb injectors will that cause the engine to load up and die on idle?
 

greyfox69

Member
Oct 26, 2011
56
0
6
kentucky
Oct 29, 2011
#6
  • Oct 29, 2011
  • #6
Not meaning to thread jack but I am new to the mustang family. I just bought an 88 gt and the guy said it had a larger fuel pump but didnt mention injectors. Is it fine to do that without changin out the injectors? also first time trying to crank car over it wont start. if u flip the key back it usually will fire up on second. He claimed that was due to larger fuel pump as well. True??
 

HOOKERBEAR

Member
Aug 6, 2011
33
0
7
Utah
Oct 30, 2011
#7
  • Oct 30, 2011
  • #7
I don't think that the larger fuel pump would make a difference, it may if your injectors are running at a much higher than stock pressure. What all has been done to this car you just bought? Turbo?
 

greyfox69

Member
Oct 26, 2011
56
0
6
kentucky
Oct 30, 2011
#8
  • Oct 30, 2011
  • #8
HOOKERBEAR said:
I don't think that the larger fuel pump would make a difference, it may if your injectors are running at a much higher than stock pressure. What all has been done to this car you just bought? Turbo?
Click to expand...

only thing to my knowledge that has been done is E303 cam, ugly crappy super cheap intake and a larger fuel pump. Im pretty sure I have a vacuum leak cause i have alot of things that should be plugged into something that arent. look up Noob chick from kentucky thread and there is a vid of it idling.
 

HOOKERBEAR

Member
Aug 6, 2011
33
0
7
Utah
Nov 3, 2011
#9
  • Nov 3, 2011
  • #9
From how it sounds, as well as looks, you have lots of things unplugged that should probably be plugged in. I would get rid of your vacuum leak, and make sure everything is properly connected. Since your car is a speed density car I would consider converting to a MAF, your intake system is also straight crap. You'll lose power with that thing, you'll be sucking in hot air from the engine and lose power that way, I would find a better intake system, that might help. I'd double check timing just for good measure as well.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

J
Engine Tuning...?
  • justadude07
  • May 30, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
8
Views
330
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 21, 2026
Qtrhrse23
K
88 speed density misfire and bucking
  • kush
  • May 29, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
9
Views
295
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 8, 2026
DadLife0724
D
Fuel Erratic Fuel Pressure 1985 GT
  • DienstXIV
  • Jan 14, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
16
Views
789
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jan 16, 2026
AeroCoupe
Fox Fuel Pump Issues After Replacement/Upgrade
  • Ryu
  • Jun 23, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
24
Views
877
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 13, 2026
Ryu
J
Fuel Fuel Pressure Issue
  • justadude07
  • May 12, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
448
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 12, 2025
justadude07
J
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?