Fuel leak and check engine light issue???

2000DarkHorse

Dec 31, 2009
Hello All!
This is my first post. New to the Mustang world but excited to jump in!
So I have discovered this common problem with the fuel fill system. We have a "service ingine" amber light indicator on and had the computer check and the result was VAC or whatever. Could be a hundred things right? Well my wife discovered the drip of fuel on the driveway and I see that the tube is almost crushable under the plastic conduit so here we are. My question is 2 part simple. "Would that fuel leak cause the light to come on?" and "Where can I get the fuel fill tube or neck itself other than dealership? :shrug:Anybody? Please help save a few bucks! And thanks for all the great advice!
You all Rock!!

• Sponsors (?)

Hello All!
This is my first post. New to the Mustang world but excited to jump in!
So I have discovered this common problem with the fuel fill system. We have a "service ingine" amber light indicator on and had the computer check and the result was VAC or whatever.

It would help if you could be more specific. The car may actually be able to tell you exactly where to look if you can remember the exact "P" code(s) that were retrieved.

Could be a hundred things right? Well my wife discovered the drip of fuel on the driveway and I see that the tube is almost crushable under the plastic conduit so here we are. My question is 2 part simple. "Would that fuel leak cause the light to come on?"

Not the leak itself but the hole where the fuel is leaking from may be the cause of an evaporative system malfunction MIL.

and "Where can I get the fuel fill tube or neck itself other than dealership? :shrug:Anybody? Please help save a few bucks! And thanks for all the great advice!
You all Rock!!

Have you priced the part at Ford?

Try Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market for a searchable link to local salvage yards. As suggested above, also compare prices at Ford as well as salvage yard prices. Sometimes, the new prices are not as bad as you might think (sometimes they are much higher than anybody would think possible).

You will need to go to the dealer for a NEW gas tank sealing grommet (donut). Do not reuse.

When it comes time to replace, cut the old grommet out before dropping the tank.

And yes, the check engine light (DTC) could be from the lack of a vapor tight gas tank seal. Will have to read the codes to know for sure. Most local autoparts stores will read the DTC's for free. Please post the complete code(s).