fuel line broke while driving...help needed

BOWTIEKILLR

Nov 26, 2005
i was driving to work the other day and noticed a slight smell of gas at a red light. then next thing i know a guy comes sprinting at me flailing his arms screaming "shut off the car!!" well i pulled into a parking lot, shut the car off, and looked under to see fuel spraying from near the filter all over my rearend and exhaust dumps. kinda scary. here are some pics from today of where it was coming from, anything seem to be wrong? anything look missing? ive actually never looked at the lines right here before so i really have no idea.
fuel006.jpg

fuel005.jpg

fuel004.jpg

fuel003.jpg

fuel002.jpg

fuel001.jpg

Attachments

• fuel006.jpg
    fuel006.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 102
  • fuel005.jpg
    fuel005.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 85
  • fuel004.jpg
    fuel004.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 335
  • fuel003.jpg
    fuel003.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 237
  • fuel002.jpg
    fuel002.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 166
  • fuel001.jpg
    fuel001.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 381
  • Sponsors (?)

You can replace that line easy, they sell it at auto parts places for like 6 bucks, and you should replace your filter while your at it. I had the same thing happen to me, but the gas cought fire and I almost did'nt get the fire out...and then i had to replace all the soft lines....kinda sucked...

damn...thats crazy. what is the piece called? any specific name? it kinda looked to me like it was a return line but i dont see why it would be spraying that much... i lost like 4 gallons

You should replace those hose clamps on the filter with the right set up. That is your high pressure line running at 40 psi. The clamps are too tight and most likely ripped the fuel line causing your leak. The plastic coupler you are pointing at is the return line, not as much pressure as the main line. You can get the repair kits at most auto parts stores.

It looks as if someone has already Rigged that once before as there is a rubber hose with clamps attached to the Fuel Filter, mine has the Duckbill Fittings on both ends of the filter. Ron Morris Performance sells new Nylon Lines and the Correct Ford Style Ends.

It's no wonder it's leaking. There is supposed to be a plastic lock inside of the duckbill fitting and it appears to be gone. You should not be able to pull the fitting off of the line without depressing the tabs on the lock first.

Now your opt to do the carb swap, get rid of that efi!

:notnice: Stick with the EFI.

I had something similar happen recently. My tailpipe wore a hole through my high pressure line running from the fuel pump to the fuel filter. I ended up having to buy 2 new lines (only came as a set) from Ford for an obscene price... Doh!

It does look like you are missing the little clip that goes inside the fitting on the return line.

I don't recall if the line going from the fuel filter to the hard line (that little 6" peice) was supposed to have the fancy duckbill fittings. I would at least replace that little section of line and put new hose clamps on it, and get a clip for the duckbill on the return line.

Are you not exactly sure where it's leaking from? Is it possible it's leaking from one of the lines going to the fuel pump, on the top of the tank, and leaking down the side?

Good luck.

Jeff