fuel pressure regulator for 98GT...mines is made into the fuel rail???

What the hell am I supposed to do here? I cant find a FPR for this car because its a one peice unit with the fuel rail??? What do I do?? Get 96-97 GT fuel rails then by an aftermarket regulator? Help guys???OH yeah would the fuel pressure regulator be bad if when you take the vacuum hose off it the fuel pressure doesnt rise anymore than what it was with it on? I could never get a reading higher than 28-30 with and without the hose on even at a higher RPM so I dont know whats going on but I believe the FPR is bad? help please..

• Sponsors (?)

its a walbro 255 fuel pump and I got it from 5.0 resto. The FPR is a one piece unit on this car i mean it has been welded to the fuel rail by the factory. I have been reading that i have to switch fuel rails to get an aftermarket FPR or even a stock one.

Unfortunately you need to get pre 98 fuel rails off a 4.6 to get them to work. Crown vic ones may work? I thought about going with that route as well, not because my car wasn't running right but because I wanted an adjustable regulator, Dont know why really? lol Anyways good luck. have you checked your plug wires? Because mine idled good but when you get on it, around 3k rpm it'd cough and sputter and run awful. =/ Any chance of coolant in the plug holes? That'll make it run bad.

I had the same problem with fuel pressure not going above 35psi with the vac. off the FPR until I swapped out my old fuel pump. I know the '98 Gts had a unique fuel pump basket that any other year design pump would not fit without modification. Did you mod the basket? Maybe something is binding or sucking air?

As for a new FPR, I believe the 96-97 GT fuel rails will work and have a separate FPR. I'm looking at doing this next since I'm still running too lean in the upper RPMs.

Ferris Bueller said:
I had the same problem with fuel pressure not going above 35psi with the vac. off the FPR until I swapped out my old fuel pump. I know the '98 Gts had a unique fuel pump basket that any other year design pump would not fit without modification. Did you mod the basket? Maybe something is binding or sucking air?

As for a new FPR, I believe the 96-97 GT fuel rails will work and have a separate FPR. I'm looking at doing this next since I'm still running too lean in the upper RPMs.
:stupid: theres only one place that ive found that makes an upgraded pump for the 98s and thats Ford Racing because ours is a one piece unit.

The only way to replace your pressure regulator is to;
1. Replace the entire fuel rail assy
2. Find some 96-97 (or very early 98) fuel rails with removable regulator.

It sucks. I went the 97 fuel rail route so if another one goes bad I can just replace the regulator.

Yeah I modded the basket but it was a bitch to do tho, i hate how this car has to have all special parts or atleast most parts are special. Im at a loss as what it could be? I dont know if the FPR is bad or if there is a problem in the fuel pump. I know that when I am at 1/4 tank or below everytime i take a turn from a stop the car goes dry on fuel like its not picking any up and it nearly dies, so would that be a pump problem or what?

I got a rail from a 97...the 96 one wouldn't fit...just take off the old one, and put the new rail on...put on the regulator...no problems...I even asked ford, and in the parts book for the 98, it only had the one with the removable regulator, not the one that is built in like we had...

98stangv8 said:
I got a rail from a 97...the 96 one wouldn't fit...just take off the old one, and put the new rail on...put on the regulator...no problems...I even asked ford, and in the parts book for the 98, it only had the one with the removable regulator, not the one that is built in like we had...

just not true, here are some facts: 1998 is a year all by itself when it comes to the fuel system, from the tank to the EEC and even up-to the cluster. 1996 and 1997 use the same fuel rail and FPR, same part #'s, F6ZZ-9F792-DA. the Frpp fuel pump for the 1998's was discontinued last spring, the best pump for a 1998 in-tank is the 1998 Cobra one(@155 lph), drops right in and if you need more fuel, go wth an external T-Rex. if you switch to a 1996/97 rail, go wth an Aeromotive FPR as it has a 1/8" npt pressure port which is good for either hooking-up a gauge or for feeding a Nytrous solenoid or both.

Yeh 1998's suck on that part. I got a Walbro 190lph fuel pump and the sock was way to big and the pump was taller, so i cut the pump housing some and stuffed the sock in nicely and have drove 10,000 miles no problems. I hold 40lbs idle and run in the 50's down the road

Hey randy thanks for the input. I am gonna pull the tank tommorrow to see if the pump is binding at all or something because when the fuel gets below 1/4 of a tank it starts acting as if it doesnt pick any more up when I take off from a stop and make a turn while accelerating from the stop.

RandyStinchcomb said:
just not true, here are some facts: 1998 is a year all by itself when it comes to the fuel system, from the tank to the EEC and even up-to the cluster. 1996 and 1997 use the same fuel rail and FPR, same part #'s, F6ZZ-9F792-DA. the Frpp fuel pump for the 1998's was discontinued last spring, the best pump for a 1998 in-tank is the 1998 Cobra one(@155 lph), drops right in and if you need more fuel, go wth an external T-Rex. if you switch to a 1996/97 rail, go wth an Aeromotive FPR as it has a 1/8" npt pressure port which is good for either hooking-up a gauge or for feeding a Nytrous solenoid or both.

I know 98 is a year by itself...I had a 98...I am just saying that in Ford's diagram book...it showed a 96/97 engine under the 98 year...and I ordered a 96 rail...it wouldn't fit...had different attachment points...96 wouldn't fit...97 would....

Did you notice the drivability issues right at the time you put the pump in? If so, there is a connection or coincidence there. I'd check the pump install since you have to modify them correctly for the 255 pump to work. Definately sounds like something is up with the pump install if it is starving for fuel below 1/4 tank. Everyone is right about the rails. I just found this out because my fpr (Aeromotive junk) went out after 5500miles. My AED blower kit came with 97 rails so I could go adjustable regulator. Go Kirban.....many good reviews. Never heard anything bad.