Fuel pressure specs and does the EEC change the amount of fuel the engine needs?

• Sponsors (?)

Fuel pump : TI Automotive pump number GSS342g3

We found the plastic barrel float had a small amount of gas in it, so I swapped that part out. The screen had a little grit on it. The fuel filter was one of those like a little metal "keg" with 3/8" inlet and outlet. It rattled. So I need to replace that, even though it was not clogged. I could blow through it both directions easily. Local parts store didn't have it in stock and I don't trust the plastic clear ones. I'll pick one up in another place.

I changed out the fuel filter today and ran it about 20min in the garage. No issues. I need to set the idle speed. Yeah, I need to read up on the base idle setup and figure out what I do not need to do, since the car doesn't have much from the 1989 system. I did watch the fuel pressure while giving it some slower more moderate throttle reving and I think it moved the pressure up more consistently then before. Meaning as I rev'd it the pressure moved up more in line with the revs. I think I had to give it pretty good revs to get it passed 32psi before.

When the car got to about 180 degrees I though the engine increased the idle speed, or it could have been the viscous fan speeding up and making it sounds that way.

I opened up the original fuel filter to see what was up. What I found is the filter element had come loose and was just bumping around in it. Picture an oil filter type of thing with a metal base on one side and the other end just the bare filter media glued to the exit end of the filter. It came unglued at that end.

With the element in the filter broke loose I would say it was most likely pushing up against the outlet port and blocking flow. I think you have it whipped now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user