Fuel pump not running right

jpe

15 Year Member
Sep 23, 2007
I have a 01 bullitt that I can’t get the fuel pump to work right.
I have 12 volts all the way to the pump and have checked both wires from the pcm back and they work along with jumped the inertia switch but the pump won’t turn on.
Previous owner had the red/black wire grounded and that makes the pump run but it always runs as long as the key is on.
What else can I check to get this to work like it’s supposed to?
Thanks

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

The returnless system is controlled by the CCRM and FPDM. The CCRM powers the FPDM via the Inertia Switch and sends information to the PCM and is monitored by the FRPT (fuel rail pressure tansducer). This is all sent via hyperspacelight through the PCM to modulate the pump cycles, like a variable switch. So, you have some checking to do to find out what someone did/didn't do to the system. In your case, if it's running full force all the time, it's been tampered with.

I just don’t know what or how I should be checking on this…I hate this design and will probably never buy another like this because of the stupidity they engineered.
I have owned 21 mustangs and this is the dumbest thing I have ever came across.
Please advise how and what to check
Thankyou

If the crank sensor wasn’t working would it not run or have other issues?
I replaced the fpdm from another known running car and still the pump will not turn on.
Is there any way of checking the pcm to see if it is operating correctly?

It runs fine if you ground the red and black wire right by the tank. I’m wondering if the pcm isn’t sending anything to the fpdm…

Last edited:
Did you even check the link in post #8?
It has a very detailed diagnostic routine laid out for the 01' Bullitt Mustang.
If you follow that diagnostic routine I am sure you will find the problem.

Yes I did before I even made the first post but I have power to the pump it just won’t run unless the red and black wire is grounded so that didn’t help me much…
I have had 2 different fuel pumps and tanks in the car with the same result.

Last edited: