Fuel Pump Wire Hunt Down

KaLiKo Street

Feb 2, 2012
Alright in the middle of my swap today (92 mustang 2.3 to 90 mark vii 5.0) I could not figure out where in the hell my fuel pump relay switch was...On my car the wires go like this, pink/black wire comes out of the fuel pump into the trunk and into the inertia switch, the pink/black wire then comes out of the the inertia switch as a green/yellow wire and travels up the drive side under the carpet in to a little black plug with some other wires on it. It then stays a green/yellow wire out the other side of the connector and runs behind the dash, travels down to a little green connector with some wires on it, comes out of the connector as a "(idk what color wire?)" and goes straight into the eec pin #22. Not once does it go into a relay, I believe that my relay is in the big black box on the passenger side strut tower with some other relays, looks like a mini eec kind of...But I down see where it would go from the green connector to that box in the engine bay. Maybe I missed it somehow it was dark outside...but I am positive that the green/yellow wire comes from the inertia switch up to the underside of the passenger side dash without ever going through a relay (not under either seat) I run it out to the battery and touched it with the + and the fuel pump cut on but im a little confused about the relay situation...wheres jrichker at???

I have Ford/Lincoln EVTMs and Factory Ford Manuals but there not really helping in this case...they list the wire as being black/pink all the way up to a relay under the drivers seat...

• Sponsors (?)

playing with the same stuff, kinda. if all the 92's are the same with relay location then yours should be like my 5.0. two relays on passengercside strut tower, under the maf setup. one is the fuel relay and the other is a/c wot relay. if it is not there for some weird reason look under the drivers seat. it should be on the strut tower, clipped on right next to the a/c relay or hanging there close by. they share the end of the same wiring harness on mine

I didnt have any relays in the engine bay at all.

I believe that your talking about these relays in the pic below jcgafford?
2009-05-25_184140_A1.jpg

But mine looks like this, no relays there just a black box
2008-08-31_112701_IRMC_mustang.jpg

The black box "IRCM" i believe
2009-05-25_193236_A1.jpg

Ima open this thing up tomorrow and see what makes it tick inside...

Hey Bud I Just Wanted To Let You Know I Have A 1993 Mustang 2.3 Auto That I Converted To A 5.0 Manual And The Fuel Pump Relay Is Under The Hood On The 8 Plug 4cyl. It Is Located On The Passergerside Of The Motor. Its Not A Common Relay It Is A Black Box On A Bracket With A Bunch Of Wires Running To It. I Ran Into This Problem When I Swaped The V8 I Had To Wire A Fuel Pump Relay Directly Into The Computer. Oh And Ps If U Have The Problem Agin Get A Test Light That Will Suplly A 12volt Current And Power The Fuel Pump From The Trunk Under The Spare. If It Runs U Know The Problem Is Else Where. Hope This Helps

That link you just posted states that the EEC power relay and Fuel pump relay are in the box...What I have done is removed the entire 2.3 wiring harness from the engine bay and spliced a Lincoln Mark VII 5.0 harness in its place and into the rest of my 2.3 harness in the car. I already have a EEC power relay that was in the 5.0 harness and it work with EEC like it should. I wonder if I can just use one of my other spare relays and splice the green/yellow wire into it and what ever other wires and make it work that way...because I cant use the IRCM with the 5.0 so I have to come up with something...

Thanks for your help though jcgaffod :nice:

check the trunk, asked a buddy that wrenched on one. he guarantees its in there. under the carpet i would guess for the 90 vii relay location. that sounds like the problem, it wasn't on the harness you swapped. instead it was on the leftovers