Fuel system upgrade

Max Power

Jul 31, 2003
St Paul
I have a 69 fastback with a fresh 393 stroker with the Edelbrock RPM package. While driving it on the freeway last fall, it seems I am running the bowls dry when running down the freeway for a length of time. When pulling off the road, the bowls of course catch up and the car starts running again.

I rpelaced the filter, which had some resistence, but not bad, and put away the car for the winter. As spring is just around the corner, I think it is time for a fuel system upgrade. First thing to note; when getting all my parts for the complete build, I went with a stock pump, and the stock pump looks like it was for a 302 rather than a 351. The diaphragm was smaller that the previous 351 pump I had in there, and it matched the 302 pump in my Maverick. That could be problem number one.

In upgrading, I have read that engines making over 400 HP heed a larger diameter fuel line than the 5/16ths from the factory. The problem is that the system can only flow as well as it's smallest restriction, and the outlet from the fuel gauge assembly in the tank has a 5/16th outlet that would be tough to change without some custom welding.

I would like to stick "bolt-on", and I would like to stick mechanical, if possible.

What are you guys with similar applications using in your set-ups?

• Sponsors (?)