Fun Stuff From My Waterpump Swap

rd

Founding Member
Jan 12, 2000
Ocean Springs MS
From my long awaited swap to a clockwise waterpump on my 82. I cut my thumb in two places taking bolts out of parts motors in the shed. The supposed cw turning new waterpump needed metric bolts for the pulley.
Explorer 5.0 bolts are US, but 2.3 four banger bolts fit perfectly. Go figure.

Got the pump swapped and the alt bracket would not work. So reinstalled the 80 Capri bracket and the new tensioner.

Drilled a new hole in the plastic Taurus fan shroud and went too far. Ate the fins in the radiaotor but not the tubes. How lucky can you get!

love this stuff!

Reactions: 3 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Well got the last step done yesterday. I bought the March Alt bracket, and it fits perfectly.

Finally have a clockwise waterpump and no extra brackets and stuff hanging on the front of the engine.

Reactions: 1 user
Well got the last step done yesterday. I bought the March Alt bracket, and it fits perfectly.

Finally have a clockwise waterpump and no extra brackets and stuff hanging on the front of the engine.

Heres the photo!

For the record, this is a 68 block with a 78 crank and rods. TRW pistons, AFR heads, 80 Capri 255 timing cover, Fluidamper, March spacer, BBK underdrive crank pulley, Autozone waterpump for an 85 Crown Victoria, March six rib waterpump pulley, Powermaster one wire alt and the March Alt bracket. Also used one spacer from the CVF racing kit. 41 1/2 in six rib belt from OReillys.

Finally a simple crank, water pump and alt system.

Attachments

• Mustang March Alt .jpg
    Mustang March Alt .jpg
    606.6 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The engine is in my 82 Mustang, and I just wanted to get away from needing the idler on the drivers side to run the fanbelt after I took off the power steering. Just cleaner, etc. Taken about 12 years to get there. The shortblock was assembled in 1987 and has 95k street miles and several years of track passes on it.