Fuse #1 keeps blowing

Purple95

Mar 12, 2006
:shrug: Having an issue with my car, '95 gt, blowing the #1 fuse and as a result I have no turn signals and my air bag light is illuminated as well. My hazards do work though. Every time I replace the fuse it blows as soon as I put the key in the on position. I have searched the forums and have even checked the harness by the clutch quadrant and all seems to be okay. Perhaps maybe something else that goes to fuse #1 is the culprit other than the turn signals. Any help would be much appreciated. Its dangerous driving without signals lol.

• Sponsors (?)

Fuse #1 (15 Amp) affects the following:
Turn Signal lights
Back-up lights
Airbag module
DRL module
Overdrive cancel
Brake shift solenoid
Heated back light relay coil
Conv. top relay coil
Illumination entry module (shut-off)

Update: Checked the cig lighter and no luck there, its functioning correctly. On another note, which of those components go hot as soon as the key is put into the on position and would this help me narrow down which component is causing the problem considering that the fuse pops as soon as i put the key into the on position or do they all go hot. I have a 5-speed btw.

You'll have to disconnect all of them and then plug them back in one at a time. When you plug one in and it blows the fuse, that portion of the circuit (that's on the thing you just plugged in) has a short.

Good luck.

Update :D Thanks guys for the quick responses. The infinite wisdom that you guys were kind of enough to share with me has payed off. After disconnecting all the components one by one I was able to find the problem. It turned out that the wire that connects to the backup lights switch had melted on the catalytic converter and caused the wires to fuse together. The plastic that encases the wires had become brittle and cracked and allowed the wire to touch the converter. I would have never thought to look underneath the car. Thanks again!!