Gain In 60' Times ?!?!?!

vpap1

Sep 21, 2009
Previous best was a 2.006 60 foot

It was 98 degrees, sway bar on, old stock suspension , subframes, rear upper and lowers, 3.73's, 275 50 15 MT dr's

4 weeks later

75 degrees, same as above but sway bar removed

best was 2.253 60 foot

however still matched ET of 14 flat and increase 1 mph in 1/8 and 1/4 to 101.2

has this ever happened to anyone else?

first time up just dumped the clutch, at 3000-3500 big spin in 1st and big chirp in 2nd

last time up tries slippign the clutch anywhere from 1500 to 3750 still big spin in first
harder burn outs this time

car developed a miss on the way up and down this time around and both race dates had a oil wet # 2 intake plug

any input?!

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I've been trying to get my 60fts down for the past 6 months or so. Its hard to narrow down what effects it when so many things can be different. Launch RPM, tire pressure, launch style, shift points, are you lifting or shifting straight through, etc...

My last outing I ran a 8.41 on a 1.94 60ft. A few runs later I ran a 8.42 on a 2.00 60ft. I spun more on the last run, but didn't lift between shifts. That made up the difference between the two runs. Just an example of how variables can change the overall outcome.

I started keeping a log last time I went out. Air temp, altitude, car weight, tire pressure, shock settings, etc. I'm hoping I can whittle my 60fts down to the 1.8 range. I would suggest keeping a log and changing one thing at a time until you see what works.

For what its worth, loosing the sway bar, going to adjustable struts and shocks and a looser spring upfront, only gained my .05 on my 60ft....so far. I am still spinning badly, but I think the Nitto555Rs are too blame for that, along with my 2.95 first gear and 3.73 rearend (I'm having to launch higher to overcome).

Good luck with it!

Joe

Joe

I've been trying to get my 60fts down for the past 6 months or so. Its hard to narrow down what effects it when so many things can be different. Launch RPM, tire pressure, launch style, shift points, are you lifting or shifting straight through, etc...

My last outing I ran a 8.41 on a 1.94 60ft. A few runs later I ran a 8.42 on a 2.00 60ft. I spun more on the last run, but didn't lift between shifts. That made up the difference between the two runs. Just an example of how variables can change the overall outcome.

I started keeping a log last time I went out. Air temp, altitude, car weight, tire pressure, shock settings, etc. I'm hoping I can whittle my 60fts down to the 1.8 range. I would suggest keeping a log and changing one thing at a time until you see what works.

For what its worth, loosing the sway bar, going to adjustable struts and shocks and a looser spring upfront, only gained my .05 on my 60ft....so far. I am still spinning badly, but I think the Nitto555Rs are too blame for that, along with my 2.95 first gear and 3.73 rearend (I'm having to launch higher to overcome).

Good luck with it!

Joe

Joe

what air pressure are you running in the nittos and what size?

im cutting low 1.70's with the car bogging.

Previous best was a 2.006 60 foot

It was 98 degrees, sway bar on, old stock suspension , subframes, rear upper and lowers, 3.73's, 275 50 15 MT dr's

4 weeks later

75 degrees, same as above but sway bar removed

best was 2.253 60 foot

however still matched ET of 14 flat and increase 1 mph in 1/8 and 1/4 to 101.2

has this ever happened to anyone else?

first time up just dumped the clutch, at 3000-3500 big spin in 1st and big chirp in 2nd

last time up tries slippign the clutch anywhere from 1500 to 3750 still big spin in first
harder burn outs this time

car developed a miss on the way up and down this time around and both race dates had a oil wet # 2 intake plug

any input?!

thanks

by wet oil on the intake plug did you mean on the spark plug?

spinning = wheel speed= higher mph... (to a point)

Good luck with it!

Joe

Joe

yes i'm lifting in between shifts but want get more comfortable launching before i get a little crazier with shifting.

i am keeping a log, however only have 12 runs so far

i think i will add the sway back on and fix my tire pressure at 20 and find a definate launch rpm with slip then play with the tirepressure a bit

cant complain with more track time!

before you keep racing it... id find out WHY you have oil on the plugs before you really screw something up.

oil burns hotter then fuel. so your EGTs will go higher and cause the motor to knock. everyone always wonders why i dont run a PCV or crank case to intake lines. im going to throw the timing on the ragged edge of what it can take i dont want anything getting sucked down the intake to cause any issues. if i have oil in the cylinder now its because i have a dead hole

before you keep racing it... id find out WHY you have oil on the plugs before you really screw something up.

oil burns hotter then fuel. so your EGTs will go higher and cause the motor to knock. everyone always wonders why i dont run a PCV or crank case to intake lines. im going to throw the timing on the ragged edge of what it can take i dont want anything getting sucked down the intake to cause any issues. if i have oil in the cylinder now its because i have a dead hole
dropping it off today at dez racing to clear that up, hopefully find a few ponies as well, then back to the track

I seem to have the best luck with 16lbs, but like the OP, my strip experience is limited. Its going to take some practice for me to iron out everything. If I leave around 3000rpm, it hooks pretty good and cuts 1.95-2.00. If I leave 4000rpms, it seems to unload the tires all the way through 1st gear. I've had mixed results inbetween those rpms. If I can slow down my excitement and stop dumping the clutch, I may be able to ease out at a little higher rpm without spinning.

To the OP, I think 20lbs of pressure is probably too much for the Mickey's. I would try around 15 or 16lbs.

Joe