Gains worth the extra money?? Please Help

Kdubslugga

Jun 7, 2003
Akron, OH
Heres the deal my buddy has a beautiful 91 GT that runs 12.1s at 118mph, he has a 302 block from Central Coast Mustang with 8:5:1 Compression a Powerdyne blower putting out 9lbs, Edelbrock Performer Heads, and a Cobra Intake. He's seriously considering the following mods but doesnt want to drop a few grand for just a few tenths. So i told him id ask you guys what would you do. He wants to add a 342 short block, AFR 185s, a Vortech S-Trim, and a Holley Systemax II Intake, with those mods to his car what Should it run, is it worth the dough?? Reason im trying to convince him is i want those Heads, lol! Its not set up for Drag racing, hence the little slow ET compared to the trap speed. So whadda ya think!! Should it be mid 11's or better???

• Sponsors (?)

The extra cubes from strokin the block will like the forced air, but I'm not sure goin with the Holley systemax will improve much from cobra. Also, I doubt upgrading to the 185's is gonna show that much improvement since the performers have the same valve sizes and the ports aren't really that much smaller than the 185's... just 9cc for exhaust and 15cc on intake.

If I were him, I would just get the heads and intake ported at a minumum. That wouldn't cost that much but I gaurantee some good gains. A larger intake would definatly help out. Since It's a blower car I would really look into a Systemax II. He could probally sell the heads to you and get some 185's for about the same price as getting the edelbrocks ported. I would leave the bottom end the same.