Garage Queen Wont Start.

DanB93

15 Year Member
Apr 1, 2007
Hello I haven't driven my 93 vert all summer, just too busy. I have a 1/4 tank of gas in from before last winter I did put Fuel Stabilizer in at the time. Anyway I tried to start and the car only cranks but wont turn over. The fuel pump will continually run when key is turned to battery setting. I keep the car on a battery tender and the car cranks normally but as i said wont kick over.

I have brought home new gas and intend to drain as much of the current gas out then put new in and try it out. Does seem like a good way to proceed or should try something else first? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

So i found the relay on the passenger inside fender. I tried replacing the relay, 14B-194-DC, with one from Advanced Auto. With the new replay in the pump didn't run at all. I put original back in and it acted as before and continually ran with key on but no start. I found a thread that mentioned having problems with this reply being bought from Advanced Auto and recommend buying a Napa one. I plan on trying that next but don't have a lot of time to work on the car this winter. I appreciate the diagnose thread listed but want to jump the end because i'm lazy. So if the Napa relay doesn't work I may wish to try a new ECC. Would I need to have it reprogrammed? Or could I just get a used one on the same model year?

There are only 2 types of relays, normally open & normally closed. I don't know how they can give you the wrong one. Good luck trying to get an EEC or having it reprogrammed. You can't just throw any one you find in there. Open up the one you have & see if any of the capacitors are blown.
http://support.moates.net/capacitor-repair-ford-a9l-ecm/
View attachment 592835
91-93_5.0_EEC_Wiring_Diagram.gif

So i found the relay on the passenger inside fender. I tried replacing the relay, 14B-194-DC, with one from Advanced Auto. With the new replay in the pump didn't run at all. I put original back in and it acted as before and continually ran with key on but no start. I found a thread that mentioned having problems with this reply being bought from Advanced Auto and recommend buying a Napa one. I plan on trying that next but don't have a lot of time to work on the car this winter. I appreciate the diagnose thread listed but want to jump the end because i'm lazy. So if the Napa relay doesn't work I may wish to try a new ECC. Would I need to have it reprogrammed? Or could I just get a used one on the same model year?
How bad do you want to drive the car? Evidently not bad enough to do the diagnostic work to get it running. Do the checklist, start at the top and don't skip any steps. You will find the problem and save time and money.

Reactions: 1 user
Its a convertible and its 50-60 degrees out so no I'm not that in need of driving it. But I do wish it to work. So will see what happens. i Have come across several threads on the site and others but once people solve there issue they never seem to follow up the post with what worked. So I promise to report how it all works out. Thanks