Gauges on 2000 gt slow to work after starting

I'm having issues where my gauges are not coming up for about a minute then they work perfectly other then my gas gauge and odometer the odometer come on and off, my gas gauge is so inaccurate that a real half a tank still reads at full once I use a half a tank the gauge reads it proportionally to the half half

• Sponsors (?)

At the cluster I would confirm that all grounds are good and can carry a real current. The ground wires are black and black with a white stripe. Note, there's a ground behind the center console that is shared by multiple devices including the radio. It is frequently messed up during a radio install.

If the problem still exists after the power and grounds have been confirmed check out this thread on Cluster PC foil trace repair.

My odometer goes on and off?

Thank you for the help I fixed ground issues more then once on the car and had to fix a ground to the cluster before and it helped get it to this point before I fixed thaty gauges would die randomly driving down the road could it be the cluster it self because if I get the odometer at just the right light I can still read it it just seems to drop the brightness to a minimum

It's always a good idea to post the full DTC code. Here's some information on how to trouble shoot IAC/Idle.

Expect idle problems if the IAC is deleted.

Troubleshoot IAC idle problems 1996-2004

Last edited:
I may have found the issue, I have tried 3 different scan tools. All three are connecting to three different ECU through the same obd port any ideals why? I'm in the process of pulling the dash out to chase wires out. As well as checking for a chip and multiple ECU. And yes i know multiple ECU would be crazy but in this car nothing would surprise me.i would just like to know what to expect and look for before I get in there