Gear change and mileage goes UP

• Sponsors (?)

Guys, especially a few of you.....I already know that you guys know ur s hit, so....he isnt gonna suprise you, not any of us.

Every reason for gaining any mpg has been mentioned in teh thread.

I will say tho, the absolute number 1 thing that will increase mileage is simple, the fact that the motor does not have to work as hard in any gear at any speed period, the ability to accelerate at a shorter ratio, simple. Another thing is 5th gear.....for most of us we never see fifth gear, especially if we live in a suberb and dont travel on the highway at all...However, myself, half my driving is in town, half on the highway, but, only because my house is about 1/4 of a mile to the highway, so, I use it to get pretty much everywhere I go.

I have 113k on my '99 Limited, only catback and CIA, and, serviced my rear two months ago, new fluid/painted cover etc etc...I mean, this car is soo very stock, plugs and all, from '99, and I get a very meticulously(forgive bad grammar!) calculated mpg. Straight up, 13.6 city, and where I drive in town it's ALL stop and go...so. Highway I get as high as 29.5mpg, this was a few weeks ago on a 120 mile trip to NJ, I tested my highway mileage. Honestly the only reason I managed such a high number is I set it on cruise at 110mph, no wind, no spare or jack, or passengers, and about half a tank when I left.

Ehh, why am I still typing, heh. Anyways I doubt he has some magic answer, unless maybe those turbonators or whatever they are work....and he bought one, I tried a free one in my capri cause it fit perfect, could'nt tell for sure.

Anyways, I observe 17mpg average, in my daily driving. I use my car as a daily driver, but hardly ever go more than 15 miles per trip, small, traffic plagued town, always shell gas, no additives.

One thing I will say, I noticed an overall huge improvement when I changed over to royal purple 10W30 and K&N filter, the first month I owned it I let it be, when I changed over the car ran smoother, and seemed to get better mileage, however I cant say for sure as I didnt test my mpg before hand.

I dunno I'm just one of the lucky one's, I mean, the car was'nt exactly babied it's entire life, and, 113k and no smoke, no taps, no nothing, doesnt burn oil...I mean nothing. But IMO 113k on a 4.6 sohc is nothing.....just broken in, compared to our cabs which get like 200-300k miles easy. ( I know the owner of Pocono Cab) He says the engines are the best he's ever observed period, as far as reliability, and he was a VW/Audi Mechanic for 42 yrs. When I asked him which he liked more, last gen 5.0 (1995) vs. last gen 4.6 2V, he says the 4.6 takes it...I like them equally I think, however the 4.6 seems to not use oil as much with higher mileage...from my own personal experience. Why the hell and I so far off topic and still typing....? I have nothing to do and sitting here bored out of my mind waiting for Family Guy to come on.....LOL lata'z

:SNSign:

Check out his sig, he had his gears mikronited, reducing friction and increasing fuel mileage, which is why I said its a rare performance mod that pays for itself. Finally a gear change that will add horsepower to the wheels instead of take it away(before you call bs, there are several dyno sheets out there proving this).