• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech

Gear drive timing gears

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kid Capri
  • Start date Start date Jun 11, 2005
K

Kid Capri

Founding Member
Dec 28, 1999
275
0
17
Jun 11, 2005
#1
  • Jun 11, 2005
  • #1
I would like to use a gear drive on my 351w build up that I am putting into my 95 cobra. I am at an understanding that this is not possible, due to the knock sensor. Is it possible to deleate the knock sensor, bypass it. or relocate it? If anyone has any experience or any ideas that may be helpful, please leave your input. Thanks
 
M

mikeflys1

Founding Member
Aug 27, 2002
217
1
0
CT
Jun 11, 2005
#2
  • Jun 11, 2005
  • #2
I didnt think any of the 302/351's had a knock sensor.
 

final5-0

Mustang Master
Apr 6, 2003
6,817
12
79
DFW Texas
Jun 11, 2005
#3
  • Jun 11, 2005
  • #3
If there is a knock sensor it would be on a EECV pcm equipped Stang or a year model of 96 or newer. Never seen one on our cars.

I've always seen peeps say those gear drives make a hell of a lot of noise.

Later
Grady
 
K

Kid Capri

Founding Member
Dec 28, 1999
275
0
17
Jun 11, 2005
#4
  • Jun 11, 2005
  • #4
Well maybe I am a bit confused on my parts. The item that is in question is screwed into the side of the oil pan. Any idea what it is?
 
K

Kid Capri

Founding Member
Dec 28, 1999
275
0
17
Jun 11, 2005
#5
  • Jun 11, 2005
  • #5
Also, if the car did not come with a knock sensor, can i go ahead with a gear drive? Any using one?
 

JJ95GTID

Active Member
Sep 22, 2003
1,141
4
49
Phoenix, AZ
Jun 12, 2005
#6
  • Jun 12, 2005
  • #6
Kid Capri said:
Well maybe I am a bit confused on my parts. The item that is in question is screwed into the side of the oil pan. Any idea what it is?
Click to expand...

I am thinking that is a 'low level' sensor for an idiot light.
 
3

311green94

New Member
Apr 18, 2005
22
0
0
Jun 12, 2005
#7
  • Jun 12, 2005
  • #7
Yeah, its the low level oil idiot light. Mine broke off about 3 years back and never had a problem with it.
 

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
31,179
34
129
Jun 12, 2005
#8
  • Jun 12, 2005
  • #8
I think the right timing gear set ups sound SWEET. Stangs, when done up right, are noisy.

Wait, what did you say? Something about NVH? I am sorry but for some reason I can't hear you.

And as usual, Grady is right on.
 

Joes95GT

New Member
Jan 23, 2003
3,132
1
0
Delaware
Jun 12, 2005
#9
  • Jun 12, 2005
  • #9
I like gear drives (when made by a reputable company), however, if I was going to spend that much money for a GOOD gear drive, I'd buy a belt.

Joe
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

3.08 gears with a manual trans
  • limp
  • Aug 27, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2 3
Replies
43
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
Qtrhrse23
S
Speedometer Calibration
  • Sonny Bibb
  • Sep 11, 2026
  • Digital Self-tuning Forum
Replies
4
Views
165
Digital Self-tuning Forum Sep 13, 2026
Sonny Bibb
S
Z
Cool fan issues
  • Zipcity
  • Dec 23, 2025
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Replies
12
Views
732
1994 - 1995 Specific Tech Dec 27, 2025
manicmechanic007
Fox Xtremely high fuel consumption
  • PonyGTrider
  • Apr 11, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 9 10 11
Replies
213
Views
5K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- May 9, 2026
PonyGTrider
A
P0036 P0056 P0137 P0157 2020 Ford Mustang GT
  • AmkoA
  • Jun 16, 2026
  • 2024+ (S650) Mustang -General/Talk
Replies
0
Views
238
2024+ (S650) Mustang -General/Talk Jun 16, 2026
AmkoA
A
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?