gear install

• Sponsors (?)

i really want to save some cash and install my gears myself. I have Motive 4.10s and Motive bearing kit. my question is can i just re use the shims in it and it be right? like they can do with frpp gears?

You might get away with that but it's unlikely. The original shims might provide a decent starting point but you'll really need to properly check and adjust the pinion depth and backlash with the proper tools and techniques. If you lack either, defer to a trans/diff shop to do the work.

i really want to save some cash and install my gears myself. I have Motive 4.10s and Motive bearing kit. my question is can i just re use the shims in it and it be right? like they can do with frpp gears?

How good of a mechanic are you? are you good at math? do you have the proper tools?ect..... you can reuse the shims but you must measure the pinion depth & adjust accordingly. if you are not familiar with the setup/measuring process then I would suggest having a reputable shop do it.
If you do want to tackle it yourself, make sure to do alot of research/study on the subject. I have done several of them & they are not that hard IF you know what you are doing.

i am a pretty good machanic i am certified by Grove cranes. i work on them all day every day so i have some knowledge of how to measure and all that. i might not tackle this myself but i dont know yet lol...

its pretty unlikely you can use the shims that are already in there. i did that at first with the carrier shims, there was absolutely no backlash and the gear wouldnt turn was locked tight, and the original shims are one piece on each side so you cant adjust them. as for the pinion idk i used MHD on FRPP gears but you will need a different sized shim because its unlikely the 2 gears will be the same thickness, but with a motive gear you wont be able to use MHD.

you could do it by installing it and doing the dye test then correcting it, but that would require alot of work.