getting a little money, need advice on what to do with it!

99FiveOh

10 Year Member
May 20, 2006
J-Ville, FL
Ok, I have a 94 GT with a tired 180k + 302 in it.

My budget will be about 3500-4000$

The original plan was to take this 351 motor I have to a machine shop and get it rebuilt with some forged pistons, throw a set of aluminum heads on it and boost it later on. I'm not too concerned with how much power it makes before the boost as long as it's reliable.

But of course like most people, when I actually have the cash I start doing more research and looking at all the options.

I have sitting in my shop a low mileage 302 that is clean as a whistle and is in perfect shape. I could buy up a set of used aluminum heads for it, get a cam and throw some boost at it with the difference in funds I'd still have left. I'm seeing Vortech kits for around 1500 bucks or less, which really has me thinking. Even better, I can buy a complete BG turbo kit for 2500.00. Not too bad..

So now I have to make a choice. Keep in mind that I will probably never race this combo on a track and the car at the most will only ever see drag radials, never slicks. So I don't need the best of everything from either engine, just something to toy around with on the street.

What should I do? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I've said it before and I'll say it again :D

I think it is not wise to go whole hog :nono:
on an OEM sb with both NA and blown combo parts :(
simply because you go over the limits of the sb :bang:

If you can be happy with 450 to the wheels :shrug:

Then ... Don't it stand to reason ........

Ya don't need the best of heads, intake, cam, headers, yada yada yada

I like the idea of finding some Aluminum heads (thick decks for boost) and
whatever other parts you can scrounge up :)

These Aluminum heads don't have to be high dollar here :nono:

Remember ... You are trying to stay within the confines of the OEM sb ;)

Anyhoo ... just a bit of what I think is common sense
and
Getting the best bang for the buck :banana:

Boost is gonna cram down the mix :nice:
so
Parts selection is not all that critical as it is on a NA combo :D

Also ... 400 to 450 to the wheels makes a pretty stout Street Car :Word:

Now ... If you don't think that is enough :scratch:
well
Ya gotta start saving :rlaugh:

Grady

Since I had a blown car before, I remember the good and the bad. I loved the power it made but didn't like all the terrible blow by from it being a high-mile engine. I was also constantly worried about which time I hit the loud pedal was going to be the "last"! lol

I do know that the 351 windsor, not matter what year, is significantly stronger than the stock block 302. And yes, I'll be perfectly content with about 500 to the tires when all is said and done. If something can beat me when I have that kind of power, more power to them!

I will probably drive this car on a semi-daily basis..meaning when I feel like riding in style, I won't opt to take the mini-van to work...

I've been doing projects long enough to know that your initial budget is never enough. Taking that into account and not planning to go crazy on parts selection, I'm certain I can get this motor in the car for a little over 3 grand. It won't make insane power and to tell you the truth probably won't even make much more than a H/C/I 302. But like I said on my 351 build thread, that doesn't interest me anyway. Boost interests me and not the kind that will make the car run 9's either. I just want a fun street car.

I appreciate the replies! Keep the ideas coming if you have anything in mind...