• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

ghetto rebuild

  • Thread starter Thread starter stykthyn
  • Start date Start date Jan 6, 2010

stykthyn

I want to measure mine. It doesn't look that tall.
15 Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
5,232
2,652
223
gainesville
Jan 6, 2010
#1
  • Jan 6, 2010
  • #1
The stock motor in my 87 is about to take a ****. It needs new rings, bearings are probably shot, and I am sure the piston walls are scored.

I have in my garage an explorer motor that has been torn down. The block has been cleaned and honed with new plugs and cam bearings. It's ready to rock and roll. The rotating assembly from the explorer looked really clean as well so I saved all those parts .

This car is pretty much my daily and I dont race it. Should I balance the explorer assy, have the crank and rods machined if needed and put that back together or should I save for a new rotating assembly? The only downside to getting a new rotating assembly is that I cannot find stock sized forged pistons. I would have to get the block machined .40 over for it to be a 306.

Before everyone gets their panties in a wad and says stroke it or blow it or build for nitrous, THIS IS MY DAILY!!!!
I am perfectly happy with the performance it had so far and I DO NOT RACE!!!
 

stykthyn

I want to measure mine. It doesn't look that tall.
15 Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
5,232
2,652
223
gainesville
Jan 6, 2010
#2
  • Jan 6, 2010
  • #2
Fordstrokers.com has stock bore aluminum pistons for the tune of about 429.00.
would these pistons be overkill?
 
8

885.0conv

Member
Jan 9, 2008
238
0
16
Phoenix, Az
Jan 6, 2010
#3
  • Jan 6, 2010
  • #3
I know the feeling when I go to the parts store they always talk about stoking and putting in a 460 but it is my DD so I am perfectly happy with it. Besides the faster it is the more chance for something to break. If using the old parts I would get it balanced to be on the safe side, nothing worse then the engine taking a dump after you spend all that time building it. I don't know if you trust sites like ebay and craigslist but I would think you could get the hypereutectic pistons cheaper. What compression are you going for?
 

stykthyn

I want to measure mine. It doesn't look that tall.
15 Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
5,232
2,652
223
gainesville
Jan 6, 2010
#4
  • Jan 6, 2010
  • #4
i wouldnt mind going up to 10 or 10.5:1 and running premium for a little more hp. The explorer pistons i have are hyper and look real good and if nothing else i will just re-ring them and slap it back together with new main and rod bearings. It will probably hold for 100k or so. I am just on the fence since its already apart I wasnt sure if i should get new rods/pistons or just have everything I have already polished and re-sized.
 

25thmustang

Mustang Master
Sep 5, 2003
2,021
85
99
Montgomery, NY
Jan 6, 2010
#5
  • Jan 6, 2010
  • #5
I would honsetly not waste a ton of time on the bottom end. Just a fresh rebuilt bottom end will last a good long time, and the power difference when using budget parts, just doesn't seem worth it on a non raced DD.

Both mine and my brothers we race a lot and we did simple rebuilt bottom ends, using stock parts and no balancing by a shop.
 

92armyGT

New Member
Dec 22, 2009
24
0
0
Oregon
Jan 6, 2010
#6
  • Jan 6, 2010
  • #6
For it to be a 306, it would be .030 over. .040 over is a 308.
 
P

project67

New Member
Feb 26, 2006
116
0
0
Jan 7, 2010
#7
  • Jan 7, 2010
  • #7
i agreee with 25th, if its you dd, just re-use the stock parts and freshen it up w/bearings and rings.
 

Shaolin Crane

Banned
Oct 6, 2008
2,627
7
0
Kommiefornia
Jan 7, 2010
#8
  • Jan 7, 2010
  • #8
i say you should just find a low mileage exploder motor and check it out thoroughly at the yard before you take it home and you'll be set, wait for a half price day and you can get it for under $100 bucks
 

stykthyn

I want to measure mine. It doesn't look that tall.
15 Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
5,232
2,652
223
gainesville
Jan 7, 2010
#9
  • Jan 7, 2010
  • #9
project67 said:
i agreee with 25th, if its you dd, just re-use the stock parts and freshen it up w/bearings and rings.
Click to expand...

yeah, I have pretty much decided to do just that. rather than bother with doing it myself I found a shop that will balance and assemble the lower end for under 400 dollars and I wont have to deal with hunting down missing bolts or ordering gaskets.

I would have gone to the yard to find an exploder, but they all have silicone pumped through them. almost every car there is a CFC donation.
 

Shaolin Crane

Banned
Oct 6, 2008
2,627
7
0
Kommiefornia
Jan 7, 2010
#10
  • Jan 7, 2010
  • #10
stykthyn said:
yeah, I have pretty much decided to do just that. rather than bother with doing it myself I found a shop that will balance and assemble the lower end for under 400 dollars and I wont have to deal with hunting down missing bolts or ordering gaskets.

I would have gone to the yard to find an exploder, but they all have silicone pumped through them. almost every car there is a CFC donation.
Click to expand...

damn that sucks
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Engine Looking for suggestions and or ideas
  • PonyGTrider
  • Aug 25, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
477
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 7, 2026
PonyGTrider
My next project , a 428 build!
  • horse sence
  • Jul 29, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
  • 5 6 7
Replies
122
Views
2K
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Yesterday at 6:04 AM
GOvert
G
Engine Suggestions on an engine rebuild. Stock cam/GT40Ps or aftermarket on both for a fun weekend driver?
  • MadSquirrelTech
  • Apr 28, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
23
Views
1K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 7, 2026
MadSquirrelTech
Electrical problem plug in the drivers kick panel
  • Mindseye007
  • Aug 16, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
170
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 16, 2026
Mindseye007
J
MEED HELP!! 86 mustang
  • Jacob0121
  • Jan 23, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
406
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Apr 25, 2026
CAMTWO1070
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?