Going Carb - Transmission Questions

zZsKyZz

Dec 1, 2005
I have a 351W that I'm planning on dropping into my 94 mustang vert. It currently has the stock 302 in it with an AODE.

If I was to put the 351W in and do a carb setup, would I still need the computer swap? My guess is no, because it will be carb'ed, but I don't know if the transmission needs anything to run properly.

Does anyone have an input on this or has anyone done this before?

• Sponsors (?)

I know you need some sort of control unit for the transmission. I'm not sure the exact product, but I'm guessing that B&M might make one. Probably looking in the $200 range.

Kurt

Sorry, I'm dumping my AODE for a T5 with a 351W carbed engine.

Will the T5 need a computer?
hey, if you have the stock AOD-E shifter still, can i get it from you?

i actually tried to go from my T5 to a 4R70W, but the guy who did it screwed up the wiring changes, and the tranny ended up getting fried. and he was 100 miles away and i really didn't feel like taking the car back up to him to get him to fix it.

so the car sat and sat while i was looking for someone who was willing to look at it. i finally gave up looking and said screw it and went AOD instead.

i assume you are getting a non-TFI distributor as well? i MIGHT still have one for a 351W if you are looking for one.

as to the T5 and computer question, i am not sure if the computer is used for other stuff as well (eg - cruise control, gauges, ...)

but i bet the engine will run without it.

hey, if you have the stock AOD-E shifter still, can i get it from you?

i actually tried to go from my T5 to a 4R70W, but the guy who did it screwed up the wiring changes, and the tranny ended up getting fried. and he was 100 miles away and i really didn't feel like taking the car back up to him to get him to fix it.

so the car sat and sat while i was looking for someone who was willing to look at it. i finally gave up looking and said screw it and went AOD instead.

i assume you are getting a non-TFI distributor as well? i MIGHT still have one for a 351W if you are looking for one.

as to the T5 and computer question, i am not sure if the computer is used for other stuff as well (eg - cruise control, gauges, ...)

but i bet the engine will run without it.

If I ever get it swapped out, I don't see why not.

How did you go about swapping an AOD instead of an AODE into yours?

you can do the swap from an aode to an aod or a manual trans with no problems at all. swapped my aode to an aod and the only reason i left the factory pcm hooked up is so my gauges will work. since you're going carbed, that would be the only reason you would leave the computer hooked up.