Good Mustang Shops In Los Angeles Area, And Rim Question

Ghost001

Dec 9, 2002
California
Hello,

I just moved across the country about a month ago, and I now live in Hermosa Beach, near Los Angeles.

Does anyone know of any good mustang shops in the Los Angeles area?

I've done some searches, which mention Chicane in Torrance, and XMP in Aliso Veijo. Are there any other good ones? What is your opinion of these shops?

Also, I'd like to get 17"x10.5" rims in the back, and 17"x9" rims in the front, for my stang. I think what I'd like is those solid rims, the ones with no holes or gaps or spokes or anything, just a smooth, featureless metal disk. Is this okay, or will the brakes get too hot if there are no holes or openings in the rims? Here's a web page with a photo of what I'm thinking about:

http://www.americanracing.com/wheel...desc=1-piece alloy, clear coated&section=ORT#

Are there any good rim and tire places that I could trust to install the rims correctly on my stang?

Should I buy the rims from a Mustang shop, and let the Mustang shop install them?

Will any 17"x10.5" rims with 5 lug holes fit a Mustang GT, or will only certain brands or models fit?

Actually, I wonder if they even make that style of rim in 17"x10.5". If not, I may think about getting the chrome Bullitt style instead.

• Sponsors (?)

Ghost001 said:
Where are they located? Do they have a website? Is the "x-ibit" a style of wheel?
:rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: Go to www.mtv.com and check out the show "pimp my ride." Xibit is a rapper who goes to kids houses and takes their beat up cars to West Coast Customs for a week to get them "pimped out." They do some awesome work. Just watch the show if you wanna see the stuff they can do. If you ever wanna have a fish tank built into your back seat that's definitely the place to go!!! :banana:

You don't need shop to install your new wheels 'correctly'. As long as you buy the correctly sized wheel there is nothing to installing them. If you can change a flat tire you can install new wheels.

You shouldn't have any heat related issues with a solid wheel.

You need a wheel with the proper back-spacing for your car. Won't be hard to find - just tell the vendor what car the wheel is going on.

66coupe351 said:
You don't need shop to install your new wheels 'correctly'. As long as you buy the correctly sized wheel there is nothing to installing them. If you can change a flat tire you can install new wheels.

You shouldn't have any heat related issues with a solid wheel.

You need a wheel with the proper back-spacing for your car. Won't be hard to find - just tell the vendor what car the wheel is going on.

Isn't it difficult to get the tire onto the rim? Or can I order a set of rims with tires already on them?

Ghost001 said:
Isn't it difficult to get the tire onto the rim? Or can I order a set of rims with tires already on them?

:rlaugh: Yeah I think it would be kind of difficult to put the tire on the rim yourself. I think what he meant was it isn't difficult to mount the rims on your car. Some places do sell the rims already mounted w/ the tires on them. You mentioned the chrome bullitts, the first place that comes to mind is ebay honestly. I see dozens of chrome bullitts w/ tires mounted and balanced for sale. I'm sure tirerack has them also.

Yes, I was refering to installing the tire/rim combo on your car.

As far as having the tires mounted on the rim - you need a shop to do that, but you don't need a Mustang speciality shop to do that. Any local tire shop can mount and balance your tires for you, or you may end up purchasing the wheels from a place that also sells tires. In that case they will probably come ready to pop on your car.

see sig. I highly recommend Joe @ Chicane, plus they are in Torrance like 15 min from your place. He is da man ..lol:).
Also check afswheels.com, they have some ebay auctions and they are based off 101 north of L.A so you can go pick up your rims if you win one of their auctions. I have 17x10.5 rear rims from them. They mount/balance your tires for free if u buy from them.

Thanks Dragon, Spree, Base, 351, Vert, and Stallion,

I think I'll try to visit Chicane, XMP, and some plain old wheel/tire stores on Monday (4 Day Tires, Discount Tires, Allen Tire Company?). I don't want to spend a fortune on wheels and tires ($2000 max), but I may visit West Coast Customs anyway, just to see what their prices are.

I've scoured the web, and it looks like there are no featureless rims in a 17"x10.5" for a stang, that I can find. So maybe I'll get Bullitts, or maybe I'll just keep my stock 17"x8" rims and just get 2 new tires (both of my rear tires are leaking, one really badly, and they have 37,000 miles on them).

By the way, the hub bore for 99-04 stangs is 2.785", isn't it? And that's the hub bore diameter, not the hub bore radius, right? (I've blown half a day learning about rims and tires. :nice: )

Or, I'm wondering if I should go with 18"x10 rims, and get tires with a smaller sidewall height (275/35/18?), so that the overall tire diameter will be the same, so that I won't have to have the speedo recallibrated.

I like the idea of getting tires with even smaller sidewall height than I already have (stock 245/45/17).