Good Price?

Its been a long time since I've been on this forum. Sold all my mustangs years ago. I got the itch again and ran across an 86 GT 5 spd. 2 owner car with 48000 original miles. All stock form and garaged its whole life. No rust and runs and drives quite well for a 30 year old car. I always wanted and old fox. I paid 4K for her. The price seems fair to me. What do you guys think.

BTW. Happy to be back.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Here is a pic that I snapped on my phone. Really nice guy owns(ed) it. Local mechanic. Comes from a mustang family. He had the car for a little over year and had done the basic maintenance. He put in a new radiator/thermostat, front pads, firewall clutch adjuster, dash cover, carpet, shift boot, springs, exhaust, and new welds rodlites and tires. The paint was bad, apparently never waxed, etc.. but he painted her a flat grey. Reminds me of primer which for some reason I've always loved. The motortranny/rear is 100% untouched down to the smog pump and cats. The car currently has 48000 miles. His title at purchase says 41K. I can't find rust, anywhere. Seems like the real deal. I've looked for about 6 months for a non ragged out foxbody. Happy I bumped into him.

Attachments

• 86 fox.jpg
    86 fox.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 144
very nice car. Hard to find decent 4 eye cars , especially unmolested ones. Now comes the big question- are you keeping it stock?:stir: Every time I bought a stock fox body I swore that "this one" would be kept stock. That usuallly lasted a day to two weeks.

Reactions: 1 user
I did some more digging. Carfax is inconclusive. It shows surprisingly little information (waste of 39 bucks). Title is clear, which I already knew. Since there were only 2 owners, or at least it seems like 2 owners, there is little to no mileage recorded. The only odometer record is the from the most recent sale in 2014. Wish there was more. Lots of reports of registration renewal but no mileage recorded. Regardless if it has 48K original or 248K the car is straight, rust free, and the interior is spotless and complete down to the working digital clock and power locks. I can't complain and am happy to have her. Thanks for your comments and no she won't be left stock. Just needed a clean canvas to start.

Reactions: 1 users
I did some more digging. Carfax is inconclusive. It shows surprisingly little information (waste of 39 bucks). Title is clear, which I already knew. Since there were only 2 owners, or at least it seems like 2 owners, there is little to no mileage recorded. The only odometer record is the from the most recent sale in 2014. Wish there was more. Lots of reports of registration renewal but no mileage recorded. Regardless if it has 48K original or 248K the car is straight, rust free, and the interior is spotless and complete down to the working digital clock and power locks. I can't complain and am happy to have her. Thanks for your comments and no she won't be left stock. Just needed a clean canvas to start.
My 90' hatchback 5.0 was a 1 family owned vehicle that I picked up completely stock with 74k miles on it for $4k just last year. It came with a car fax and there was a lot of registration renewal reports and some service records. Only way there are service records with mileage reports is from somebody paying somebody to do work for them or factory recalls. The people you bought your car probably did their own brake work and oil changes so the car never saw a crook errrr mechanic.

Congrats on the purchase. Enjoy the car and KEEP IT!