Got beat by a 03 Mach1....WTF???

95CobraMike

Apr 12, 2004
Lima OH
So a guy from town has been talking crap for a long time and i just so happened to meet on the road saturday night... he stopped in the middle of the road and we talked for a minute and he wanted to race, so i was like whatever i told him my car isnt running right but we did it anyway...
i had him off the line and we were even (neither of us were gaining on one another, but he was 3/4 of a car back) until my 3rd shift, i missed the rpm (over reved, then missed the gear) he jumped about 1/2 a car lenght infront of me so i couldnt gain it back so i slowed down and got behind him....

his car: 2003 mach 1 stock except for exhaust.
my car: mods in the sig

My car has no power past 3800 rpms..well it has a little power, but no where NEAR where it should be... the supercharger/cam used to start kicking in realllllllly good right about there, but now it feels like nothing.

i do have an msd btm so i dont know that i'm blowing out my spark.... i do however need to get new regular plugs and gap them accordingly (i have platniums now :notnice: )

what do you think my problem(s) is/are?

heres a list of what I think it could be....
-spark plugs being platnium and not gapped right
-timing might be off (it was set at 12* last time i checked)
-in need of a tune
-dirty MAF or IAC (i think thats what its called...)

what do you think? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

i think you need a good, nay, GREAT tune.

with your set up, you should be able to kill any mach, even well modded ones. in my experience, there not all that fast, high 13's.

Plugs get my vote it pretty much garentees you're getting no hp/tq due to "spark blow out". They need to be gapped to about 32 but let a blown guy give his two cents on what proper gapping is needed. I still say 32 :D and a good tune before you go through another HG swap, all though you're getting as good as JR in breaking you engine down hehe.

i doint know those things are pretty fast
if you missed a shift its very possible you wont catch back up
my friend ran one (his moms of all people) and got a 13.5 bone stock i mean showroom stock and he isnt the greatest driver of all time
def impressive

i was supercharged at one time put a set of autolite racing plugs in it part # AR25 that will help if you would not have missed the shift you would have killed his ass i get them all the tim and i run 13.0 in the 1/4

BLT2BTU said:
i doint know those things are pretty fast
if you missed a shift its very possible you wont catch back up
my friend ran one (his moms of all people) and got a 13.5 bone stock i mean showroom stock and he isnt the greatest driver of all time
def impressive
Most "slap on" Vortech 302's can get close to 13.0 Many H/C/I intake 302's are in the 12's.

A 306 S/C should be low 12's to high 11's depending on combo, driver, and tune.

All are capable of smearing the Mach...Maybe HE lied about the mods? :shrug:
RC

Yeah, maybe he has 4.56's and a blower....lol..

Wouldn't be the first time....

Also, you should do a complete tune-up, including timing, plugs/wires/cap/rotor, plus it's imperitive that you clean your IAC and MAF sensors.

You also should do a compression check, maybe your HG is on it's way out.
Scott

BlueOvalStangGT said:
13.0??? I would shoot myself if I almost ran a 13.0 in my car with a vortech.
That's because you have other mods. I was referring to "just" a Vortech put on the car. Oink had a couple other power mods and ran low 13's by just putting it on.

(what's 100hp forced induction worth on a stock car timwise?)
So yes, 13.0 or so for just a "slap on" Vortech without the other goodies
RC